FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: another goofy issue..

My VIN:    15275

another goofy issue..

anyone have issues where the ac being on will make the idle hunt a little bit?? mainly when the car is warming up??

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would consider that normal, especially during warm up.
    David Teitelbaum

Hunting Idle

The problem with the idle going up and down with AC on when starting up is VERY pronounced for me when it's hot out and the car is re-started.

So, leaving home with the AC on, not so bad. But stop somewhere with 110 degree outside temps and then start the car back up again and it's horrible.

The mechanic went through and made the air/fuel mix richer and then moved the idle up to improve this. MPG seems worse, and idle is 1,500 with AC on, but admittedly it's not going all over the place with the idle anymore.

My VIN:    15275

wow

thats alot of idle hunt on your car.. mine is no where near that and dissapears after a min or so.. do u still have the original compressor and all??

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by alarriva View Post
    The mechanic went through and made the air/fuel mix richer and then moved the idle up to improve this. MPG seems worse, and idle is 1,500 with AC on, but admittedly it's not going all over the place with the idle anymore.
    The stock idle system is non-adjustable and will try to compensate for any loads on the system. You have something else going on if your idle runs that high.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you have hunting, putting more load on (running the A/C) just makes it worse. To fix the hunting you must get each cylinder to work as evenly to the others as possible. That means cleaning the injectors, fixing vacuum leaks, gapping the spark plugs, adjusting the valves, etc. Whatever it takes. Start with a compression test. The cylinders must be within 5% of each other.
    David Teitelbaum