FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Frame rust woes

My VIN:    10309

The worst areas I found was the hollow pillars and both sides of the engine. There is a 3" hole about a foot from the top that leads to the inside of the pillar all the way to the bottom. I found a lot of rust particularly at the bottom that left untouched would have eaten through the frame. Also the crumple pieces in the front were rusted at the bottom. Rust underneath the steering rack attachment points and of course the area underneath the clutch and brake cylinders where brake fluid had dripped down. I had to replace the fuel access panel as big holes had developed from the brake fluid. You have to remove a radiator hose section that runs along the frame in that area and probably the gas tank to get to it all. Use your dremel tool with a cutting disc to cut through the rust and all the way through the frame if need be. You can buy an inspection camera from Harbor Freight CEN TECH for $79.99 and cheaper if you get one of the 25% off coupons. I used mine also into the roof box where it was rusty on the edges. The I used Eastwood internal frame rust proofer. The worst rust is the areas you can't see without the camera.

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    A camera is nice but a small hammer is all you really need. That and an ear for what thin, rusted metal sounds like.
    Off topic I know but in the UK there is a chap who goes around telegraph poles and pops them with a hammer, he identifies if the wood has started to rot based on the sound. I was having a chat with one of them (as there are clearly lots) and said lets see your special hammer then, we got chatting he explained its a normal hammer and just an ear for rot which is fairly simple.

However the price of progress is a new electronic hammer which is still just a hammer but also plots GPS on the location to flag which ones need replacing based on a decision from the chap after the tap. We finished with a smile on the thought that he can really say "I cant go to work as my hammer is flat"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2