FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: door rubbing

My VIN:    4328

door rubbing

So I have noticed that when i open my driver door it rubs on the top of the t-panel. If your looking at the door it's the top left corner. The t-panel itself is loose on the top of the car on the driver side if you push down on the drivers door side. The passenger side doesn't move at all and doens't rub on the door. Can you just re glue under the panel to more firmly attach it to the roof?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Tee panel is held up in the front at the windscreen by foam and is "hooked" under the molding. The rear of the Tee panel is held in place by screws. First determine if the panel is centered. Check the gaps between the tops of the doors and the Tee panel. they should be even. If not, loosen the screws in the rear and slide it to one side or the other to make the gaps equal. If it is not staying up nicely at the front you need to remove the Tee panel and add or replace the foam. If equalizing the gaps and fixing the foam won't solve the problem, you are not alone. Very common problem.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Its on my todo list... I just stuck some Duct tape on the chaffing part for now to protect the stainless..

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoot View Post
    So I have noticed that when i open my driver door it rubs on the top of the t-panel. If your looking at the door it's the top left corner. The t-panel itself is loose on the top of the car on the driver side if you push down on the drivers door side. The passenger side doesn't move at all and doens't rub on the door. Can you just re glue under the panel to more firmly attach it to the roof?
    It’s a common issue. Unfortunately repositioning the t-panel is a pain in the butt. Part of the t-panel is held down by screws that are hidden under the outer door weatherstrip, which is glued in place. To get to those screws your have to destroy the weatherstripping (well, part of it anyway. You can cut out the part that covers the screws and just splice in a new section. That saves a lot of time).

My VIN:    Midproduction

Make sure the T-panel is flush/level with the doors when closed (by adding foam underneath if it's sitting lower) and if that doesn't work, get different gas struts. PJ Grady struts close a little lower than some of the stabilus struts currently sold by DMC, so you're less likely to push the door from opening that far up (against the T-panel).