FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Major Oil Leak (from where???)

Major Oil Leak (from where???)

Question: Has anyone seen a leaking oil pan gasket leak so much that it pools in the bottom of the bell housing?

I just did a clutch job, including rear main seal. Put it all back together, took it for a drive, and came back to a large amount of oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing. Obviously I thought I screwed up the rear main job so I did it again. Put it all back together, took it for a drive, same pool of oil.

Transmission is back out of the car and the rear main is dry, as is the housing. Right under the housing corners are wet, driver side more than passanger. I can't find any oil above the bottom edge of the rear main housing on the engine. The bell housing is soaked.

Me and three other guys at our shop are stumped where this oil is coming from. Dipstick tube? Oil pan gasket?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Warped rear main seal carrier?
    -----Dan B.

certainly possible, but would expect it to be obvious where the oil was coming from. The joints look dry.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Did you tighten the allen bolts that go into the block all the way before you tightened the two that come up from the bottom? If you did that will leave a gap at the bottom mating surface that won't seal. Did you use anaerobic sealer on the bottom flange surface (no gasket there)?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Did you tighten the allen bolts that go into the block all the way before you tightened the two that come up from the bottom? If you did that will leave a gap at the bottom mating surface that won't seal. Did you use anaerobic sealer on the bottom flange surface (no gasket there)?
    so on the rear flange, you should tighten the bottom two first and use anaerobic sealant on that joint. NO RTV!
    then tighen the other 5 allen head bolts.

First go was with anaerobic, second with "the right stuff"

I'm not convinced this is motor oil. It doesn't smell like gear oil, and looks the color of motor oil, but the input shaft seal (NOS) is leaking when I tip the transmission forward.

I guess it could be both, but I can't find any source of a leak that would explain this much oil.

I've got a new production seal coming. Will give that a go.

Thanks for the notes.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by fmj78 View Post
    First go was with anaerobic, second with "the right stuff"

I'm not convinced this is motor oil. It doesn't smell like gear oil, and looks the color of motor oil, but the input shaft seal (NOS) is leaking when I tip the transmission forward.

I guess it could be both, but I can't find any source of a leak that would explain this much oil.

I've got a new production seal coming. Will give that a go.

Thanks for the notes.
    Input shaft seal on the trans should never leak. That would destroy the clutch in pretty short order. There are two leak points on that, either the double seal that goes around the input shaft or the o-ring between the tube and the bellhousing.

To answer your original question, I've NEVER seen an original-build oil pan gasket leak. They were apparently made of asbestos and JB weld. (J/K). Aftermarket ones are not as good, I don't believe true factory originals are available.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Input shaft seal on the trans should never leak. That would destroy the clutch in pretty short order. There are two leak points on that, either the double seal that goes around the input shaft or the o-ring between the tube and the bellhousing.
    Mine leaked from the same place for years and assumed it was the rear crank seal...... Then I bothered to smell the oil and realized it was G/box oil! So yes I would do as suggested and check the above!

Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

How about clean it up and take it for a short drive. (1/4 of your last drive) Might be easier to see where it is coming from.

Definitely input shaft seal. Oil came out the tube when the trans was tipped forward. It probably would have been fine to leave the original one in there, but I got a bad case of whileyerinthereitis and replaced it with a NOS one.

Trans is back apart, should have the new seal tomorrow.

Will report back after the next test drive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast