FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Repairing frame rust and epoxy coating

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Silly California. You know you can just add a hardener to the paint, right? You can add about 10 drops per quart of liquid hardener and it will do the job.
    I do not know that! I know like nothing about paint other than interior house paint.

Should I be adding a hardener to this enamel? Or is it sufficient as formulated? All advice and tips are welcome.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I do not know that! I know like nothing about paint other than interior house paint.

Should I be adding a hardener to this enamel? Or is it sufficient as formulated? All advice and tips are welcome.
    I visited one of the vendors last year who suggested adding the hardener to the Rustoleum Smoke Gray if I were to use that product. Then use a sprayer if you were to do the whole frame but I suppose if you work quick enough you can brush it on, too. I'd make much smaller quantities, a new batch for each coat using a similar ratio.

You should be able to get a hardener at any paint shop that sells to auto body paint guys / DIY auto paint supply.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are many additives you can add to paint but you have to be careful what you add and how much you add. Best to experiment on a test article first. There are additives to improve flow, drying time, adhesion, gloss, texture, etc. If you do use additives, only add to what you will actually be using, often many additives, once added, do not store well. For the best job, prep is all important. The metal must be clean. Next use a primer coat, then a base coat and finally a top coat. Each coat has specific properties that are maximized for that specific job. For example a primer coat will have excellent adhesion and moisture resistance.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3