FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Alternate shops on Long Island?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    135

    Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    Thanks for the info! Also nice to know there's another local somewhat near me. I'm over in Coram, but willing to get my car worked on anywhere reasonably-distanced from me. My biggest issue ATM is the car dumped all its coolant on Sunday and there's definitely a leak. I've got towing via JC Taylor to any shop I want within 50mi so it's only a matter of locating a place to take the damn car so it can get made road-worthy again.

    Appreciate the recommendation. Does the shop have any experience working on a D or is my situation one where I don't really need to worry about a place that does classic car work? Generally I take my daily to Firestone since they're very reputable, but they can't use any 3rd party parts and I don't know if they'll be able to do anything at all. Hell, I can't even get them to put tires on it because it has to be from them & they don't carry Hankook.
    I'm not sure if they've worked on a D before, but again, the engine work and brake work you need isn't really "Delorean specific". I would call them and see if they would be willing to work on it. Make sure you let them know that the engine is the same engine that could be found in a Volvo 760.

    Where was the antifreeze leaking from? Water pump? Radiator? Overflow tank? You're biggest obstacle will be parts replacement as it may take a few days to get parts in from one of the vendors.

  2. #12
    Member MacStainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2014

    Location:  Long Island, NY

    Posts:    37

    My VIN:    5591

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I'm not sure if they've worked on a D before, but again, the engine work and brake work you need isn't really "Delorean specific". I would call them and see if they would be willing to work on it. Make sure you let them know that the engine is the same engine that could be found in a Volvo 760.

    Where was the antifreeze leaking from? Water pump? Radiator? Overflow tank? You're biggest obstacle will be parts replacement as it may take a few days to get parts in from one of the vendors.
    Great to know about the work and engine cross-reference.

    As far as the antifreeze goes, it was difficult to tell. I had 1/3 bottle of Prestone on me when it happened, so once the car cooled I poured it in and noticed there was a small drip coming from under the car. However, the engine bay when I first got the car home had antifreeze splattered all toward the front side of the bay. Offhand, it's hard to tell. I could try to give the bottle a look to see if there's any signs of cracking. It's the original bottle, so I just placed a DeloreanGo order for a SS bottle & cap. I don't know if it makes a difference, but when this happened, there was a plume of steam that came out the back of the car and that's when the temp gauge started creeping. To me, that indicates some instant failure in the cooling system. If you have anything specific for me to check that doesn't require a lift or more than basic tools, I'm happy to see what the situation may be.

  3. #13
    Member MacStainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2014

    Location:  Long Island, NY

    Posts:    37

    My VIN:    5591

    Just a quick follow-up that I was able to make contact with a local place (Joe's Mobil Service) that has DMC experience, was recommended to me by my neighbor, and is only a few minutes away. He's willing to take a look at the car next week. His biggest sticking point is the lack of local parts availability, "the issue is I get a car on the lift and then can't finish the job because I can't get parts." I let him know I'd gladly help him procure parts in advance, plus I also let him know that the coolant leak shouldn't be Delorean-specific. So we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    135

    Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    Just a quick follow-up that I was able to make contact with a local place (Joe's Mobil Service) that has DMC experience, was recommended to me by my neighbor, and is only a few minutes away. He's willing to take a look at the car next week. His biggest sticking point is the lack of local parts availability, "the issue is I get a car on the lift and then can't finish the job because I can't get parts." I let him know I'd gladly help him procure parts in advance, plus I also let him know that the coolant leak shouldn't be Delorean-specific. So we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.
    The only major thing Delorean specific for the coolant system would be the water pump. You could always purchase one as a spare and if you're willing to convert to a bolt on pump, the pumps are cheap. Pump: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...88256&jsn=1451 and the bolt on pulley: https://www.deloreango.com/us/alumin...mp-pulley.html

    Most of the hoses straight, mechanics would have spools of it, there are only a few molded hoses.

    Radiators, you can get one made at a local custom radiator shop.

  5. #15
    Member MacStainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2014

    Location:  Long Island, NY

    Posts:    37

    My VIN:    5591

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    The only major thing Delorean specific for the coolant system would be the water pump. You could always purchase one as a spare and if you're willing to convert to a bolt on pump, the pumps are cheap. Pump: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...88256&jsn=1451 and the bolt on pulley: https://www.deloreango.com/us/alumin...mp-pulley.html

    Most of the hoses straight, mechanics would have spools of it, there are only a few molded hoses.

    Radiators, you can get one made at a local custom radiator shop.
    I'll keep those links handy. If I have to order again from DGo, I will, but I want to see what the mechanic says first. Unless there's some basic troubleshooting I can do on my own.

    On a related note, is there a reference on the bolt sizes for replacing the header bottle? I ordered the SS one from DGo and would like to swap it out this weekend if it arrives tomorrow (based on my shipping speed I chose). I found this walkthrough on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzutpumHwiI ) but they don't give any of the bolt sizes. I have no idea where to find this in the workshop manual PDF I have. Happen to know where I could find this?

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2021

    Posts:    6

    Join our Long Island club and we will do our best to help you with whatever you need.

    Louis

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    135

    Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    I'll keep those links handy. If I have to order again from DGo, I will, but I want to see what the mechanic says first. Unless there's some basic troubleshooting I can do on my own.

    On a related note, is there a reference on the bolt sizes for replacing the header bottle? I ordered the SS one from DGo and would like to swap it out this weekend if it arrives tomorrow (based on my shipping speed I chose). I found this walkthrough on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzutpumHwiI ) but they don't give any of the bolt sizes. I have no idea where to find this in the workshop manual PDF I have. Happen to know where I could find this?
    Looks like it's about an inch and a half: https://store.delorean.com/sp10016-bolt-m6.html, you have to subtract the size of the bolt head as measurements of bolts start from the base of the bolt head to the tip.

  8. #18
    Member MacStainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2014

    Location:  Long Island, NY

    Posts:    37

    My VIN:    5591

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCloseButYet... View Post
    Join our Long Island club and we will do our best to help you with whatever you need.

    Louis
    Sure! Give me the info and I'd be happy to check it out. What's the website and/or contact info?

  9. #19
    Member MacStainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2014

    Location:  Long Island, NY

    Posts:    37

    My VIN:    5591

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Looks like it's about an inch and a half: https://store.delorean.com/sp10016-bolt-m6.html, you have to subtract the size of the bolt head as measurements of bolts start from the base of the bolt head to the tip.
    Those bolts aren't metric?

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    135

    Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    Those bolts aren't metric?
    It is, it's an M6 bolt, just covert the length to metric.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •