FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this relay for the power antenna?

My VIN:    4365

Is this relay for the power antenna?

I was looking around behind the seats, when I noticed a red wire going from one side of the car to the other. This wire had worn through the insulation so it needs some attention. The wire goes through this large bundle of wire, then to the relay in question. The relay is next to the Idle ECU - see pic. The output of the wire goes into the left side pontoon, which I can only think would be the power antenna. The other side of the wire is tapped into the door lock circuit breaker (which I have disconnected).

IMG_20210417_172756103_HDR.jpg

Wire bundle:
    IMG_20210417_172851302_HDR.jpg

That's where my antenna relay is.
    Ron

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
    I was looking around behind the seats, when I noticed a red wire going from one side of the car to the other. This wire had worn through the insulation so it needs some attention. The wire goes through this large bundle of wire, then to the relay in question. The relay is next to the Idle ECU - see pic. The output of the wire goes into the left side pontoon, which I can only think would be the power antenna. The other side of the wire is tapped into the door lock circuit breaker (which I have disconnected).

IMG_20210417_172756103_HDR.jpg

Wire bundle:
    IMG_20210417_172851302_HDR.jpg
    Yes that is the OE antenna relay. If you install a new power antenna the relay is built into the new antenna so that relay is no longer needed.

My VIN:    4365

Thanks. I figured that's what it was for but wanted to make sure. The radio doesn't work (didn't work when we got it in 1985) and I've already removed the antenna because it was in the way. So I think I'll disconnect the wire that's worn just do it can't cause any issues.

Thanks for you help!

On this subject, does anyone have a wareing diagram for the antenna? The manual has one for the radio, but nothing about the antenna.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

There are going to be multiple configurations.

The factory configuration had a relay in the area above the storage compartment behind the drivers seat that ran the antenna up whenever the car was on and down whenever it was off.

With newer antennas that relay is replaced with a relay inside the newer antennas, but the function is the same, its up whenever the car is on.

Then if you put in a modern stereo you will have a wire coming off the stereo, sometimes blue, which can be run to remote antenna antenna or remote amp that is energized only when the stereo is turned on, so if you are driving with the stereo off the antenna is down but when you power it on it goes up.

Other modern stereos will have two output wires of this type, one for an external amp which comes on whenever the stereo is powered on, and another that is only powered if you are listening to radio transmissions, but not other audio sources.

Each of these is more advanced than the one before, the higher you go in the list, the more old school and original it is. None of them are more or less correct depending on how you view your car.

Depending on what you have or are trying to achieve we can try to get you the wiring info you would typically need.

How's THAT for a non-answer answer? Seriously - What configuration are you looking at, do you think?

Tom

PS - There were also non powered antennas too.

Mine has a clear relay in that area. It has a red and green wire going to it from the front and three wires going to the back. The red wire has a inline fuse that was blown. That wire is hot all the time. I bypassed the fuse. And turned the car on. (Not start) Nothing happend. I turned the radio on and nothing happend also. I didn't try starting the car. I will try that today. What if you want the radio on, but not the car?

Anyways, I assume the red wire is hot all the time so it can retract after you turn off the car. I would like to test the antenna Do you know if the green wire is supposed supply hot or ground? What should I expect on the three wires going back? I assume mine is OEM.

Finally, when I turn my radio is on, it cracks the speakers alittle. If a power antenna is down, will it not still receive some stations? I thought so, but I have no experince with power antennas. It would be great if I just fix the antenna and the radio works.

Edit, I just looked at his pic and mine is just like that.

Second edit, I know the black box is part of the ignition, but There is a device just out of the pic to the front of the car. It's on the other side of a partician. What is that?
    Last edited by Helirich; 04-24-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Assuming you do have a OEM style radio:
    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Mine has a clear relay in that area. It has a red and green wire going to it from the front and three wires going to the back.
    Red goes to 12v all of the time (E.G., a brown wire or the purple wire at the radio). Green is ground. Of the three going to the antenna, one is common and the other two are for up or down.

The red wire has a inline fuse that was blown. That wire is hot all the time. I bypassed the fuse.

And turned the car on. (Not start) Nothing happend. I turned the radio on and nothing happend also. I didn't try starting the car. I will try that today. What if you want the radio on, but not the car?
    It's that way to keep the radio from running the battery down.
    (There is a way to use an OEM style relay instead to work around this...)

What should I expect on the three wires going back? I assume mine is OEM.
    I haven't used that relay but I would expect that its yellow wire is hot all of the time and the relay switches ground between the other two depending on whether it needs to go up or down.
    You should put a meter on them...and compare with key on and off.

Finally, when I turn my radio is on, it cracks the speakers alittle. If a power antenna is down, will it not still receive some stations?
    OEM radio setups had poor reception. It depends a lot on the proximity and power of your local stations.

Second edit, I know the black box is part of the ignition, but There is a device just out of the pic to the front of the car. It's on the other side of a partician. What is that?
    I'm thinking the one in the pic above is the idle ECU and the one you are asking about is the ignition ECU, maybe??
    Is it bigger than a bread box?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

I'm thinking the one in the pic above is the idle ECU and the one you are asking about is the ignition ECU, maybe??
    Is it bigger than a bread box?
    The bypass was just for testing.

The device is long and thin. Could it be an electric hood release? (Because mine doesn't have a pull handle) Right now there is no catch on my hood. I didn't get one because I have no handle to release it. It would be nice to lock it down.

I have a pic but it won't let me post.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...e/dscn2353.jpg

My VIN:    03572

The black box with the two connectors is the idle ECU. The silver box mounted vertical is the lambda ECU. The ignition ECU is mounted under the metal plate and is gray.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast