FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Car running poorly

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

The thing about the new style pumps (especially with the OE sending unit) is they do not sit in a low cavity of the tank like they do in today's cars. In the DeLorean, they are very susceptible to running dry because the entire tank bottom is level. Any braking, cornering, acceleration, etc. can starve the pump if the fuel level is low. From now on, consider 1/4 tank low and 1/8 of a tank dead empty.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Nice to read about the progress. A car that reliably starts, warms up, gets you around town, idles and doesn't misfire makes other problems seem solvable.

Two follow-up questions to see how close you are to tidying this one up:

1. Did you notice the coolant temp reading during today's (successful) runs? How close to that middle line between 110F and 220F is it after it warms up and the A/C is on?

2. Did it feel like it had 130HP? You mentioned "power loss" as a main issue some time ago. Good power now at all engine speeds?

PS, DMC sells blank keys for the car. They can cut the the keys there, too.
    After that ride earlier, I went out again and put 60 miles on the car. Just driving aimlessly like a teenager. Lol

1. Coolant temp never got to that line. Had the AC on at first, but it cooled off out side, so I turned it to vent. I think as someone mentioned, the PO must have the thermostat out.

2. Hard to say what a 130 hp feels like, but I'm happy with it. I had it up to 80 mph, but than I got to thinking about my 7 year old tires. (Got new ones on the way from tire rack.) One time I was in 5th going 65 and I had to slow to about 50 for a bit. It started to feel like it was bogging out. I shifted to 4th and it still didn't want to go. I was thinking "here we go". I down shifted one more time and it picked right up. Back to 4th and it was "great guns" again.

I talked to James at DMC and he is sending me a kit to convert my doors to the same key as the ignition. I have no key code, but he is going to cut keys from a picture. That's the first I've heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The thing about the new style pumps (especially with the OE sending unit) is they do not sit in a low cavity of the tank like they do in today's cars. In the DeLorean, they are very susceptible to running dry because the entire tank bottom is level. Any braking, cornering, acceleration, etc. can starve the pump if the fuel level is low. From now on, consider 1/4 tank low and 1/8 of a tank dead empty.
    On mine, I think 1/4 is real low and a sliver below that line is "can we coast to the station" time. Lol.

On that note, I've been running premium no ethanol. Do you guys ever put ethanol in yours? I use to have an old motorhome that ethanol melted the plastic gas tank. I sure don't want that. I have two stations in town that have no ethanol, but what if I'm on a trip?

Speaking of trips, would I be completely crazy to go to a "Cars and Coffee" 50 miles away this Saturday? (I know I drove more than that today, but I was never more than 20 miles from the house.)

My VIN:    03500

I have no problems with ethanol on long trips. When it gets to the time to put it away for winter I start using non ethanol.

Dave B.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

That's real good news about your 60 mile jaunt.

In reverse order of some of your points below:
    a. No, it's not crazy to take the car to the C&C 50 miles away - as long as your recent trips have all been made without benefit of a battery charger.
    b. Using 5th to accelerate from 50MPH is asking a bit much. 4th should be fine, if not fast, when you floor it at 50. The PRV engine has decent low-end torque. It will pull decently from as low as 1500RPM if you're not in a big hurry. You shouldn't be feeling any misfires or hearing coughs from the back under acceleration.
    c. Assuming the sender and gauge are normal the thermostat may be missing or stuck open. With a "cool" thermostat I've seen them run about a needle width below that line but not much lower. Since it's cheap and easy go ahead and pop in a new thermostat (from a vendor, not a generic) and gasket to be sure you have the right setup. It's one less thing to worry about and there's nothing good about running the engine cooler than it was designed to run.

Have fun at the C&C.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    After that ride earlier, I went out again and put 60 miles on the car.....

1. Coolant temp never got to that line. Had the AC on at first, but it cooled off out side, so I turned it to vent. I think as someone mentioned, the PO must have the thermostat out.

2. Hard to say what a 130 hp feels like, but I'm happy with it. I had it up to 80 mph..... One time I was in 5th going 65 and I had to slow to about 50 for a bit. It started to feel like it was bogging out. I shifted to 4th and it still didn't want to go.

Speaking of trips, would I be completely crazy to go to a "Cars and Coffee" 50 miles away this Saturday? (I know I drove more than that today, but I was never more than 20 miles from the house.)
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4