FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Ground points

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    212

    My VIN:    04512

    Ground points

    I've had this happen just a handful of times now. I try to start the car and it's completely dead. Like there's no battery. I had this happen yesterday right after I got done driving. I parked and shut the car off to take a phone call. I got out of the car, left the door open, walked for about a minute or two, then got back in the car. Closed the door, tried to start it and nothing. What I've found is if I go and open the passenger door, then close it, I can then start the car.

    Is there a ground point I should be looking at on that side of the car?
    Erik
    04512 since '99

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    8,172

    My VIN:    03572

    When you shut the door it vibrates the bad connection. My bet is the feed through bolts at the back of the relay compartment are not tight.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    212

    My VIN:    04512

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When you shut the door it vibrates the bad connection. My bet is the feed through bolts at the back of the relay compartment are not tight.
    Do you have a photo of this?
    Erik
    04512 since '99

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    4,685

    My VIN:    3937

    Or something in the connections on the ignition switch isn't tight...


    Sept. 81, auto, black interior

  5. #5
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,627

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Yeah, it could be at the main relay or ?? too. Sounds like a shake test while someone holds the key down is in order...

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Do you have a photo of this?
    Check out pic HERE.

  6. #6
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    2,270

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    I would start in the fuse/relay compartment and check to see the connections on the main relays are tight. Also the connections on the ignition switch. Would also be a good idea to check the engine to frame and battery to frame ground cables. something is loose.

    When the car fails to start are other electrical components not working? like the radio, fan, dash lights, etc. Or is everything normal but the starter is not engaging.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

  7. #7
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  In Transit from IL to SC

    Posts:    5,265

    My VIN:    05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Do you have a photo of this?
    Not handy but the to get to the inside of the connection you remove the vertical carpeted panel. The outside is under the coil cover. Same for the battery HOT connection, you need to get to both sides to properly tighten it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    212

    My VIN:    04512

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    When the car fails to start are other electrical components not working? like the radio, fan, dash lights, etc. Or is everything normal but the starter is not engaging.
    No, the car is completely dead. Exactly how it would behave if the battery was not in the car. So far it hasn't happened again, and I've put on over 100 miles along some bumpy roads. I've opened the doors many times. I can't get it to happen again. But i'm sure it will.
    Erik
    04512 since '99

  9. #9
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    2,270

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    No, the car is completely dead. Exactly how it would behave if the battery was not in the car. So far it hasn't happened again, and I've put on over 100 miles along some bumpy roads. I've opened the doors many times. I can't get it to happen again. But i'm sure it will.
    I would check the ground wire from your battery to the frame, the engine to the frame, and the frame to the body. they are all roughly in the same area of the car (passenger side rear). I'm almost certain at least one of these bolts are loose.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    212

    My VIN:    04512

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Not handy but the to get to the inside of the connection you remove the vertical carpeted panel. The outside is under the coil cover. Same for the battery HOT connection, you need to get to both sides to properly tighten it.
    I just checked on these and everything is very tight. In fact all the connections I've been looking at so far are very light and secure. And the crimp on the connections are tight too.

    One thing that I do remember when it happened last was that the car did try to engage the starter, but not even a full turn. Probably not even a second of turn. Just a loud click at the starter and then the entire car was dead. Again, opening the passenger door then closing it fixed it.

    While I was under the car just now all the connections to the starter looked good.
    Erik
    04512 since '99

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •