FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drivers door will not open

Drivers door will not open

Hello, I was hoping someone has some good advice on how to get my drivers door open, I went to a car show came home and I guess I may have hit the door locks with the passenger door open . Well I have tried with power disconnected, power on and the drivers door will not open . Never had this happen before . Appreciate any tips on what I should check . I did remove the upper panel but not really sure what to look for, Thanks for any information.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCSPRINT View Post
    Hello, I was hoping someone has some good advice on how to get my drivers door open, I went to a car show came home and I guess I may have hit the door locks with the passenger door open . Well I have tried with power disconnected, power on and the drivers door will not open . Never had this happen before . Appreciate any tips on what I should check . I did remove the upper panel but not really sure what to look for, Thanks for any information.
    What else did you try? There is at least one basic move to verify. You turned the door key clockwise all the way on the driver door before lifting the outside door handle?

And what observations have you made so far besides "Won't open?" Did either the front or the rear edge of the door seem to pop loose when you tried to open it? If you didn't notice that try shutting the door fully with a good shove front and rear and then try opening it again. It helps us figure out whether it is the lock or the latches that are goofy.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    What else did you try? There is at least one basic move to verify. You turned the door key clockwise all the way on the driver door before lifting the outside door handle?

And what observations have you made so far besides "Won't open?" Did either the front or the rear edge of the door seem to pop loose when you tried to open it? If you didn't notice that try shutting the door fully with a good shove front and rear and then try opening it again. It helps us figure out whether it is the lock or the latches that are goofy.
    Hello Rich , I had tried that , you can hear the key latch something turning like it always did but make no difference. And the door is shut flush, when you pull the door handle very slight movement at front and back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Rich , I had tried that , you can hear the key latch something turning like it always did but make no difference. And the door is shut flush, when you pull the door handle very slight movement at front and back .

It’s seems to be staying fully locked and I am just not experienced on what to look for . Thanks

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXCD010415 SCEDT26T5BD001992

Drivers door will not open

Try gently pushing door lock button to the unlock position and while applying that gentle pressure attempt to open the door using the exterior handle. Mine hangs up now and then and this works every time to open the door. I haven’t yet tried to determine the cause but I suspect that it is a problem with the mechanical adjustment of the lock switch.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Try this:
    Disconnect one of the battery cables. Push each end of the door down firmly (one end at a time). Lock and unlock the door smartly using the interior locking switch. While lifting the interior release handle fully, push the ball on the cable (red in pic below) toward the rear of the car. Pushing the door down at the same time may help.

Passenger Side (Driver side reversed):
    Latch.jpg

See attached below.

The front latch seems to be the most finicky when it comes to weird locking issues. Some of us have removed the front latch lock rod in order to prevent that lock from misbehaving.

It’s also possible that the latch itself has failed, or some part of the latch/lock mechanism is broken. They do wear out.

My VIN:    SCEDT26T8BD004207

stuck passenger door lock

Passenger door front latch stuck. removed door panel and latch control. Have full access to all linkages, rear latch is released. I can lock and unlock front latch and door release responds to lock and to unlock position. I cannot open door with the latch released. any suggestions.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Make sure that the 'front lock link' (the long one that doesn't have an adjustment) is pulled toward the center of the door.
    (Sometimes they un-bend, making them too long to pull the arm on the latch enough).

My VIN:    SCEDT26T8BD004207

linkage

the lock link was held to the toward the center of door. The door is still stuck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast