FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: In addition to DMCTalk, what other sites/groups do you participate?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • FaceBook

    15 53.57%
  • DMCToday

    18 64.29%
  • Yahoo or other DeLorean Wiki

    3 10.71%
  • DeLorean.com Knowledge base

    3 10.71%
  • Other DeLorean Blogs/sites/clubs/groups, but choose not to disclose

    4 14.29%
  • None of your business

    2 7.14%
  • None of your business, this is a stupid poll.

    4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: FB: To Be, or Not To Be

  1. #21
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,685

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Duck it
    Yeah, it's late and I'm too Bushed to play anymore.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Sidaries's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Hungary

    Posts:    271

    My VIN:    7075

    I see you enjoy yourselves.

    Back to the topic, I use Facebook regularly, and however the problems you all describe are valid, it is still a great tool to keep contact with others. Even with other Delorean owners. On the Facebook, the Delorean Fanatics, the Delorean Historians are great groups with rare documents, pictures and mostly good people. Obviously, Facebook groups are not capable to be a good place to store and search information about the car's servicing or real deep research, but for fast answers for questions and for some eyecandy, much better, than a forum.

  3. #23
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,685

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    I see you enjoy yourselves.

    Back to the topic....
    Huh?? The OP asked about our "position regarding FB and other DeLorean sites/groups". Michael tooted DMCTodays' horn and I paid him back. Surely you aren't suggesting the mods should censure the lighthearted banter and delete it as OT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    Obviously, Facebook groups are not capable to be a good place to store and search information about the car's servicing or real deep research, but for fast answers for questions and for some eyecandy, much better, than a forum.
    Have you visited the Resources, Best Photos, and Girls and DeLoreans--NSFW sections here?


  4. #24
    Senior Member Sidaries's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Hungary

    Posts:    271

    My VIN:    7075

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Have you visited the Resources, Best Photos, and Girls and DeLoreans--NSFW sections here?

    Of course I did. The Resources is one of the best thing on this site, but for me, watching photos on Facebook is much easier than here. But if I need to fix my car and I need help, this is the place I go. Each site has it's strengths.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2019

    Location:  Pittsburgh, PA

    Posts:    183

    My VIN:    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    FB censors people. That's all I need to know and I won't go there. I hope they go out of business.

    On the lectures, here. It's a forum, say your piece and see what comes back. Disregard the stuff that doesn't suit you.
    It's cool that you're an experienced mechanic and know what to disregard and have found your place here - you are clearly enjoying yourself, and that's great.

    I am a new mechanic (well, one year now), and don't always know what advice (or "advice") to disregard. Like I said earlier, some of the older threads have
    some fantastic information, but Facebook for me has proven far far better to ask questions and share things I've found. Many people seem to agree with
    this - the number of new people to venture here seems to have been quite small. That means Talk is now largely old-timers - maybe that's OK,
    but be careful what you ask for.

  6. #26
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,289

    My VIN:    6125

    I guess I'm starting to fall into the old timer category...

    In general I prefer the forum format over facebook. Here, everything is organized and posts are a linear discussion from start to end. FB moves posts out of order based on popularity unless you continually go through and re-sort by recent. It's harder to see what is new and less popular posts get buried easily. The multiple comment threads in a single post go off on random tangents too and looking back more than 10 previous comments is not set up very well on FB.

    This forum software is definitely showing it's age though. Over on e46fanatics.com they recently upgraded to a more modern layout and it takes some getting used to, but is much better overall. It supports dark mode settings and has a much better method for uploading and sharing photos. Private messages also look more like a normal thread and are easier to follow with all the previous messages showing as posts instead of nested quotes. And you can like people's posts which is also a nice feature.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    438

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    It's cool that you're an experienced mechanic and know what to disregard and have found your place here - you are clearly enjoying yourself, and that's great.

    I am a new mechanic (well, one year now), and don't always know what advice (or "advice") to disregard. Like I said earlier, some of the older threads have
    some fantastic information, but Facebook for me has proven far far better to ask questions and share things I've found. Many people seem to agree with
    this - the number of new people to venture here seems to have been quite small. That means Talk is now largely old-timers - maybe that's OK,
    but be careful what you ask for.
    I have a saying "Listen to everyone and make up your own mind". There's people on here that hate my guts, but that doesn't mean I can't learn something from them. It probably is mostly old timers now, (me included) but some of the old tricks still work.

    I understand FB could and is a fantastic resource, but censorship could be the death of freedom. I have never been very political and I hold both liberal and conservative views.

    In any case, I hope you will stay here and contribute. If you see something on FB that you think might be interesting for Delorean owners, please pass it on.

  8. #28
    Guru butcher Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    4,410

    My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    If you see something on FB that you think might be interesting for Delorean owners, please pass it on.
    Unless it's the John DeLorean estate/Trump country club story. That's taboo here.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2019

    Location:  Pittsburgh, PA

    Posts:    183

    My VIN:    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Unless it's the John DeLorean estate/Trump country club story. That's taboo here.
    I've spent a bunch of time in Bedminster. It's extremely boring. That's really all there is to know.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2019

    Location:  Pittsburgh, PA

    Posts:    183

    My VIN:    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I have a saying "Listen to everyone and make up your own mind". There's people on here that hate my guts, but that doesn't mean I can't learn something from them. It probably is mostly old timers now, (me included) but some of the old tricks still work.
    Well, that's just it, isn't it? People are determined to share their philosophy, here - tell people how to think; gets real tiresome. Anyway, it doesn't - matter,
    as I said, new owners aren't coming here mostly.


    In any case, I hope you will stay here and contribute. If you see something on FB that you think might be interesting for Delorean owners, please pass it on.
    To pick up a few stragglers? Probably not - anyway, it'd just be links to Facebook, which yinz don't read.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •