FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Water under the car

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Just take the fuel pump access panel off to get at it.

Just an idea.
    Dave B.
    That's probably a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    But the hose is on the other side of the car?

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk
    Not sure what you mean here. Is your car right hand drive? Even if it was, the access panel is in the center.

My VIN:    05257

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    That's probably a good idea.

Not sure what you mean here. Is your car right hand drive? Even if it was, the access panel is in the center.
    Sorry, mixed it up with another access panel (under the tank cap).

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    My thought was that you have to dump the Freon to change the accumulator. And changing it out involves the evaporator, which does not like to be disturbed and is a PITA to replace...]
    Ok Ron, I'm comtemplating changing the accumulator. I assume you have done this. I see what you mean by disturb the evaporator. It will be real easy to put stress on it when removing the nut there. Do you know any tricks. You mentioned crows feet. I can see that maybe they might be useful. I tried to get some but none of the auto parts stores have any big enough. Not even Harbor Fraight. There is one outfit in town that might have them, but they were closed by the time I got there. I'll try there tomorrow.

I really really don't want to hurt the evaporator. Do you think that is likely? Or just possible? If it is likely, I won't do it now. I have a trip planned to NY at the end of the month. I would really like to take this car. If I break the AC, I can't take it.

It's kind of like everyone says "take care not to break studs when you remove the exhaust manifold". I took extra, extra care and only broke three out of six. I would say breaking a stud is not only possible, but likely. Please tell me breaking the evaporator is just possible, not likely.

Well actually, please tell me the truth.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I really really don't want to hurt the evaporator. Do you think that is likely? Or just possible? If it is likely, I won't do it now. I have a trip planned to NY at the end of the month. I would really like to take this car. If I break the AC, I can't take it.
    ---
    It is not uncommon to twist the end off the evaporator if it's frozen especially from a salty climate. Steel nut on aluminum threads etc. etc. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That begins a Very Bad Day.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ok Ron, I'm comtemplating changing the accumulator. I assume you have done this. I see what you mean by disturb the evaporator. It will be real easy to put stress on it when removing the nut there. Do you know any tricks. You mentioned crows feet. I can see that maybe they might be useful. I tried to get some but none of the auto parts stores have any big enough. Not even Harbor Fraight. There is one outfit in town that might have them, but they were closed by the time I got there. I'll try there tomorrow.

It's kind of like everyone says "take care not to break studs when you remove the exhaust manifold". I took extra, extra care and only broke three out of six. I would say breaking a stud is not only possible, but likely. Please tell me breaking the evaporator is just possible, not likely.

Hmmm... "Possible" is way too weak and "likely" is a bit too strong. I would say it's "very risky" and avoid it if possible.

What I would do in your situation is get one of these:
    MT0962-270x270.jpg HERE. Or s-l1600.jpg HERE.

Then pull the system almost all of the way down from the high side, remove the bad stem (gut it if you have to), quickly attach the adapter and switch, evacuate and dump 2.2 lbs in it.

That is a good idea. I think I might even have something like that in my refrigeration tool bag. I'm going to try it today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thankyou.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Since you enjoy cutting things so much, you can lower the risk by cutting the accumulator into sections to remove it. You can cut it in a way so that you're only left with the fitting to the evaporator and the rest is gone and you have room. There used to be photos and a writeup but the link to that particular section no longer works (http://deloreanreborn.com/).
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Since you enjoy cutting things so much, you can lower the risk by cutting the accumulator into sections to remove it. You can cut it in a way so that you're only left with the fitting to the evaporator and the rest is gone and you have room. There used to be photos and a writeup but the link to that particular section no longer works (http://deloreanreborn.com/).
    That's not a bad idea also. Once you start cutting though, your committed. I'd rather do that when I get back from my trip.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Hmmm... "Possible" is way too weak and "likely" is a bit too strong. I would say it's "very risky" and avoid it if possible.

What I would do in your situation is get one of these:
    MT0962-270x270.jpg HERE. Or s-l1600.jpg HERE.

Then pull the system almost all of the way down from the high side, remove the bad stem (gut it if you have to), quickly attach the adapter and switch, evacuate and dump 2.2 lbs in it.
    Update, I pulled the system down to low pressure. Tried to remove the stem by several means. No luck. So I got out the drill. Drilled through. Of course, there was a fair amount of pressure coming out when it finally went through. At least I can garentee no drill shavings went inside. I had safety glasses and gloves on, so I didn't get blasted too much. I quickly threaded the R12 elbow thing I got from autozone. (Special order) I was just like the thing you posted. (That outfit didn't answer the phone) I never let all the pressure out. Got the fitting on tight and pumped the system up again. Sprayed leak detector all over it. No bubbles.

So far, so good.

Now I threaded the pressure switch on by hand pretty tight. It fits really nice on the elbow. More out of the way than stock. I sprayed it down with the leak detector and I had lots of bubbles. So I tightened it some more. Still leaked. Got a wrench out and tightened it some more. Still leaked. Tightened it more and the switch busted. It was a one month old switch. It's a stupid design. It threads on a flarenut fitting, but there is no cone shape inside to tighten against. Of course being made of plastic doesn't help. I think I will look for a differnt switch. Might be a hassle because it's R12 threads. I do have a converter to 134 threads. But then the switch might be set for higher pressures.

In any case, I pressured up the system to 25 low and 190 high and it was blowing cold with the jumper in place. I have a short trip tomorrow. (100 miles one way) I'll see if it makes it.

I will say, even when I change the accumulator, I think I will use this elbow. It lays the switch over just right.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Might be a hassle because it's R12 threads. I do have a converter to 134 threads.
    Huh?

You can get the pressure switch at most auto parts stores. There is nothing wrong with the switch design or being plastic, however, it will leak no matter what if you didn't put an o-ring on the fitting.
    Last edited by dn010; 05-28-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast