FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas pump nozzle

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I thought I would revive this with something new. I noticed the last couple times I screwed up and had the pump running full tilt and it clicked off without spilling a drop. I got to looking in my fill tube and there is another tube inside of it. It is made of black plastic. It is kind of funnel shaped. The diameter is neerly the full hose at the top and goes down to about 1". I can reach in with my fingers and lift it some. But it is too big to go through the metal part.

I looked on the parts diagram at DMC and they don't even show the fill tube. So I don't know if it is stock or not. Do you guys got this? I wonder if it stops the pump quicker. It may be there to allow the fuel to go in quicker. (Air vents around it)
    Sounds like a modification from the previous owner. Take some pictures of this because there shouldn't be anything in there.
    You should be able to look in there and see nothing but metal.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Sounds like a modification from the previous owner. Take some pictures of this because there shouldn't be anything in there.
    You should be able to look in there and see nothing but metal.

Dave B.
    I'll try, but it just looks black in there. At first I thought it was just the hose going down to the tank.

My VIN:    10907

I replaced all my (original) rubber vent lines a couple of years ago and it seemed like that helped a bit. I still find that I can pump faster without it shutting off when I hold the nozzle perpendicular to the windshield (parallel to the line of the car as others have said).

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

The tank holds like 16oz. It doesn't take long to fill it up so I don't mind babysitting the process.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The tank holds like 16oz. It doesn't take long to fill it up so I don't mind babysitting the process.
    On that note, it seems like I can use about 10 gallons and I start to feel some fuel starvation. Is this typical? That ten gallons gets me about 200 miles. (Mixed driving) Is that typical?

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    On that note, it seems like I can use about 10 gallons and I start to feel some fuel starvation. Is this typical? That ten gallons gets me about 200 miles. (Mixed driving) Is that typical?
    I honestly don't know. I seem to remember on my 1,000 mile drive I was going around 200-250 miles between fill ups but this was interstate driving.

Being that I was born a man, it is embedded in my genetic code not to give a flying f=k about gas mileage.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I honestly don't know. I seem to remember on my 1,000 mile drive I was going around 200-250 miles between fill ups but this was interstate driving.

Being that I was born a man, it is embedded in my genetic code not to give a flying f=k about gas mileage.
    I don't really care about miles per gallon or the price of gas, but I do care about miles per tank. I hate going to gas stations, even more so with this car.

My VIN:    3937

I consider there to be about 40 litres of working volume in the tank. If I fill up when I'm at 1/4 tank, it takes about 32 litres. Give or take a bit. There are 3.785 litres per gallon if you want the other math.

For most of the time I've had my car, I get about 22.5 MPG. This means I fill up at a little less than 200 miles per tank. 175 to 190 or so. Going up hills when near empty will get my low fuel light turning on and I'd rather get fuel soon afterwards than deal with starving the pump. It's an automatic so the mileage is worse than the standard transmission.

One trick I've used a lot over the years is to park at the pump when stopped regardless of whether I am getting gas or not. No door dings that way. So if I'm stopped to use the washroom or get something to eat or a coffee (there are a few spots on my usual lap that have coffee shops right next door to gas stations), I park at the pump. And no, not when it's crazy busy. I just find it's a better option than pulling into a regular spot at the actual coffee shop and then running in all the while worrying about someone dinging your door panel.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10907

I've gone 300 miles and only taken 10.8 gallons before. That was on the highway going from SLC to Vegas in the summer with the A/C off as I recall. Seemed like I was getting upper 20s on road trips when I first bought the car but lately it's been down to lower 20s. Of course, the last couple years I've started doing 80 instead of 70 on those 100-mile stretches of nothing between SLC and everywhere else...

On long drives I generally start looking for a gas station when I've gone 250 miles and get less picky about whether it's Top Tier certified after the low fuel light comes on. Around town I track how many gallons I put in last time and plan on filling up when the trip meter hits that number X 20.
    Last edited by DaraSue; 06-01-2021 at 04:34 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Knowing your MPG is good for two reasons.
    1) Being able to plan a trip without worrying about running out of gas and
    2) If you see the MPG going down either you are leaking it out or burning your fuel up faster.
    A 5-2peed in good tune can get as much as 30 MPG, an auto around 25. Of course a lot has to do with how much junk you carry in the trunk, your speed, the weather, how heavy the passengers are, etc. To get another 2-3 MPG you can use a higher grade of gas. While the car is made to run on regular it will run better (and farther) on higher octane gas. On long trips I set the odometer to zero when I fill up and I know that I can go at least 250 miles on that tank and still have a little reserve.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast