FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Hazard switch

My VIN:    5483

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    OK, confirm your wires are as below. Don't worry about the wires for pins 9 and 10 being swapped. (Note I added some missing parts...)

Note that if you follow power from fuse 6, it goes to pin 4. And if the hazard switch connects pin 4 to pin 7 at any time, the black wire will short it to ground (and blow the fuse).

My only concern here is, if the key is on, fuse 4 will send power to pin 5. And if the hazard switch connects pin 4 to pin 5 at that time, fuse 4 should blow, which you are not saying. We need to know why....

Click to enlarge:
    Attachment 66410

P.S. I don't know who to credit for the earlier schematic, but it looks like it is an updated version of Sean's work.
    My wires are exactly as shown in the schematic. Thanks!
    The earlier schematic was one that you had updated in the Resources Section. I copied it off post #15 in this thread... http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?98...-working/page2

Just reread everything...

I sure hope you meant, "..., no continuity between 7 and anything with the switch in the off position,.."
    In which case, the bulb is not connecting pins 7 and 3, as it should be with the hazard switch on or off. It could be blown or not installed correctly, as Dave mentioned....you didn't report back to him on how it went with the bulb removed.
    I did mean no continuity between 7 and anything when off. Good catch! Thanks!!!
    Sorry, Dave! I had skipped your suggestion! I just tried again, without a bulb installed this time, and it blew fuse 6 again. Had previously tried with original incandescent bulb reinstalled and that blew too.
    Sheesh! This really blows!
    Fuse 4, and all other fuses have remained in tact.
    Is this sounding more like a lousy switch reassembly on my part or more like a wiring short somewhere?
    Last edited by JavaRacer; 05-27-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Also, my fuse box cover has been modified with stickers for fuses 4 and 18, if that sheds any light on the fuse 4 situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaRacer View Post
    I did mean no continuity between 7 and anything when off. Good catch! Thanks!!!
    Sorry, Dave! I had skipped your suggestion! I just tried again, without a bulb installed this time, and it blew fuse 6 again. Had previously tried with original incandescent bulb reinstalled and that blew too.
    Sheesh! This really blows!
    Fuse 4, and all other fuses have remained in tact.
    Is this sounding more like a lousy switch reassembly on my part or more like a wiring short somewhere?
    LOL!

If it blows fuse 6 with the bulb removed while the hazard switch is in the on AND off position, the switch is bad.

LOL!

If it blows fuse 6 with the bulb removed while the hazard switch is in the on AND off position, the switch is bad.
    Awesome! Thanks for all of the help Ron and Dave!! You guys are the best!!!
    Maybe someday I’ll dive into learning how to properly rebuild a switch, but not today! I’ll get a new switch ordered up!

Also, my fuse box cover has been modified with stickers for fuses 4 and 18, if that sheds any light on the fuse 4 situation?
    I think that's from the mod/update I mention. The brake light fuse would be inline, down down by the brake pedal/switch and fuse 18 free, iirc.

Awesome! Thanks for all of the help Ron and Dave!! You guys are the best!!!
    Maybe someday I’ll dive into learning how to properly rebuild a switch, but not today! I’ll get a new switch ordered up!
    You're welcome!

Something you might try- Make a fused (15-20 amp) hot wire and briefly touch it to each terminal in the socket, except pin 4 (switch removed). The fuse should not blow (unless there are other problems). Touching pin 4 should blow the fuse, but don't try it.

My VIN:    03500

I wish you good luck with the new switch!
    My self if the new switch solves your problems I'd be taking the old one apart just to see what the hell is going on.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I wish you good luck with the new switch!
    My self if the new switch solves your problems I'd be taking the old one apart just to see what the hell is going on.
    Dave B.
    LOL I'd have to do it now...

You're welcome!

Something you might try- Make a fused (15-20 amp) hot wire and briefly touch it to each terminal in the socket, except pin 4 (switch removed). The fuse should not blow (unless there are other problems). Touching pin 4 should blow the fuse, but don't try it.
    Great idea, I’ll give it a shot! Thanks again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast