FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AC Orifice Tube

My VIN:    16362, 04463 (Former)

AC Orifice Tube

I'll be converting my system to R134a soon enough and over the pat few weeks I've ordered everything I will need but contrary to what I thought I had on hand I'm short a new orifice tube. I understand its a common GM part so I shouldn't have any trouble finding it at my local auto-parts store, but what i'm hoping to learn here is does anyone know the correct part number for this that might be carried at somewhere like oreilys, autozone or even amazon.

Additionally I've read up a little about Variable Orifice Tubes that some some have claimed to have gone with for R134a systems but I cant find much in terms of how well these worked out and if anyone had a part number or source for that as well I'd be curious to give it a go myself.

Im not really wanting to put in an order with a vendor over this small part, I appreciate anyone having any help to offer on this matter.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

MT0097-1 for standard or MT0629 for VOV (variable) at Autozone or one that fits an 84 Corvette 5.7 at other stores. I've used both types and with the VOV I would get a weird hissing gurgling noise from the orifice area every time I shut off the AC. I went back to standard and the noise went away. Otherwise, the VOV did work well and I didn't have any other issues with it.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03500

T38623 is what I used! I did have to trim the little nubs off the backside to get a good fit. I think I paid 2.50 for it. Some people have had problems or no benefit with a variable.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    MT0097-1 for standard or MT0629 for VOV (variable) at Autozone or one that fits an 84 Corvette 5.7 at other stores. I've used both types and with the VOV I would get a weird hissing gurgling noise from the orifice area every time I shut off the AC. I went back to standard and the noise went away. Otherwise, the VOV did work well and I didn't have any other issues with it.
    Interesting, and thank you for the information. I'm changing my compressor to a Sanden SD7H15 model 4708. I wonder if it will result in a different outcome.

Much appreciate the help gentlemen.

Can't say anything about the Delorean 134A, but on an old Ford truck converted to 134A, I tried both variable and standard orface tubes. Couldn't tell any differnce. Maybe, just maybe, the standard worked better. (Was cooler)

The more it seems I look into the VOV I get the idea that its not the way to go. Higher cost, uncertain benefits/gains, possible noise issues, etc... Perhaps the fixed valve is the winner here. I'll keep it simple.

My VIN:    03572

The problem with the VOV is if your tube has a bend where it sits the VOV will not work.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    831

Supposedly, corvette owners have found that R134a doesnít get very cold with the standard White Orifice Tube (1.8mm). When I had my car running in 2018, I also found that out. VOV didnít help me either.

The corvette guys found that downsizing to the 1.6mm Ford orifice tube gives better performance and R-12 like high/low pressures.

So I purchased an orifice tube that is 1.6mm from a 2000 Ford F-250, and I will test how cold it gets once I get my engine back together. Part number 38635.
    VIN 831- Delorean.eu Roof Box, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension.
    Other Classic: 1982 Mercedes 300SD TurboDiesel

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Supposedly, corvette owners have found that R134a doesn’t get very cold with the standard White Orifice Tube (1.8mm). When I had my car running in 2018, I also found that out. VOV didn’t help me either.

The corvette guys found that downsizing to the 1.6mm Ford orifice tube gives better performance and R-12 like high/low pressures.

So I purchased an orifice tube that is 1.6mm from a 2000 Ford F-250, and I will test how cold it gets once I get my engine back together. Part number 38635.
    Something don't sound right to me here??
    Using your numbers, you would be decreasing the orifice diameter which would mean the refrigerant would flow through slower. That would mean longer cycle times, which would increase high side pressure. I always heard that people used VOVs on a D to lower the pressure because 134a has higher pressure than R12 (for 70įF and greater, which I know is true). Seems you would be making a bad situation worse. What am I missing?

My VIN:    831

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Something don't sound right to me here??
    Using your numbers, you would be decreasing the orifice diameter which would mean the refrigerant would flow through slower. That would mean longer cycle times, which would increase high side pressure. I always heard that people used VOVs on a D to lower the pressure because 134a has higher pressure than R12 (for 70įF and greater, which I know is true). Seems you would be making a bad situation worse. What am I missing?
    I thought the same thing, but with an orifice tube being $3 and easy to replace, Iím up for an experiment.

Iíve never had good ac performance in my car with all new components. I've tried everything but a different sized OT.
    VIN 831- Delorean.eu Roof Box, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension.
    Other Classic: 1982 Mercedes 300SD TurboDiesel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast