FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: AC Orifice Tube

My VIN:    Early

Since I just finally got my car back on the road, I want to update this.

I installed the blue orifice tube and 2lbs of R134. I set my low pressure switch to cut off at 22-25psi. While it does cycle at highway speed, the AC is so cold, I often have to turn it down, and I haven't even tinted my windows yet. Additionally, in traffic at idle, I still get ice cold AC. It?s absolutely wonderful!

IIRC, high side pressures were about 175-250 at 80*F sitting still. When it's 90*F in summer, I will update this again.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Unless you have to remove the orifice tube, either because it is broken or plugged up, leave it alone. It is in a place where the pipe is bent and it can be difficult to remove without damaging that VERY thin aluminum pipe. Once you damage that pipe you are replacing the evaporator coil and it is NOT a fun job. I do not understand why some people feel they have to "convert". R-12 is readily available, it is not that expensive, and you don't need much.
    This is where my ac job ended in September, I pulled out the office removal tool, with no orifice attached, and a hole in the evaporator coil pipe. I think I'll have to throw in the towel and bring the car to to Grady, once the city stops salting the roads and have the evaporator replaced by him. 😢💸

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4