FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wiper arm

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    564

    Wiper arm

    I'm on a trip. My wife and I are both sick and I just want to get home. Wouldn't you know it, it's pouring own rain and my wiper decides not to work. The pax side woks, but the driver's won't keep up. Of course, they hit each other. Is there not splines to locate them? Does this mean mine are stripped out? I guess if I can't fix it now, I will "rain-x" the windshield real good.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2019

    Location:  Pittsburgh, PA

    Posts:    216

    My VIN:    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I'm on a trip. My wife and I are both sick and I just want to get home. Wouldn't you know it, it's pouring own rain and my wiper decides not to work. The pax side woks, but the driver's won't keep up. Of course, they hit each other. Is there not splines to locate them? Does this mean mine are stripped out? I guess if I can't fix it now, I will "rain-x" the windshield real good.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Yes, there are splines, but the nut also needs to be tightened enough to hold it down correctly. You could always just unbolt and remove it for now.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2018

    Posts:    677

    I agree, the nut is probably not tight enough.

  4. #4
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    2,054

    My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    The splines on the arms (which I believe are aluminum) can wear out and if you tighten the nut too much trying to get them to work, you’ll pinch the whole post/mechanism and it won’t work at all. Take it apart and see what it looks like and you can always swap passenger/driver sides.
    -----Dan B.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    564

    I tightened the nut, but it didn't go very far. It's bright sun today, so no test. Of course, the AC is not working great. We're so sick, we quit already.

  6. #6
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    2,334

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I tightened the nut, but it didn't go very far. It's bright sun today, so no test. Of course, the AC is not working great. We're so sick, we quit already.
    Maybe you can craft a titanium wiper arm that will never fail. At least you must have some sort of ingenious solution to get you out of this hot, sick, low visibility conundrum.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

  7. #7
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    2,054

    My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Maybe you can craft a titanium wiper arm that will never fail. At least you must have some sort of ingenious solution to get you out of this hot, sick, low visibility conundrum.


    This made my day.
    -----Dan B.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    564

    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post


    This made my day.
    Yea, isn't it great how josh can delight in the misfortune of others?

  9. #9
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    2,334

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Yea, isn't it great how josh can delight in the misfortune of others?
    If you PM me your address i can mail you a snickers.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    564

    So tightening the nut seems to have fixed the wiper. I drove in rain today and it worked without issue. I do notice the wipers move kind of "rachity". I bought new blades awhile back and maybe they are too sticky. Does anybody else notice this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •