FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Any proponents for buying sight unseen?

  1. #11
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,300

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    This advice is probably too late for you - I'm betting you buy that car. But for anyone else, I recommend going to see as many cars as possible, *especially* if you know they aren't suitable, so you know what you're looking at when the right car comes up.
    This is really good advice. I was glad I had seen and driven a few other cars prior to buying mine. To know you've got a good one it helps to experience the not-so-good ones first.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Stayton, Oregon 97383

    Posts:    199

    My VIN:    10309

    It's hard to believe that $50K Deloreans are now considered a good buy. It seems we skipped over the $30K and $40K range and jumped right
    into the $50K standard. But some national websites now have no Deloreans at all being for sale. Bring A Trailer compiles cars from other
    websites and has nothing right now but you can search for previous sales over several years and the price increases were dramatic and ended in
    sales above the reserve. But if you're going to pay $50K you should get a #2 with minor defects but excellent in all areas. This could be part of
    the national trend, even work cars have seen huge price increases. Of course the Delorean is in a category all by itself.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2021

    Location:  DMV

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    This advice is probably too late for you - I'm betting you buy that car. But for anyone else, I recommend going to see as many cars as possible, *especially* if you know they aren't suitable, so you know what you're looking at when the right car comes up.
    I get what you're saying for sure! I've considered many cars up until this one. I really like this one, but would prefer a non-gascap-accessible hood, but it appears to be in the condition and mileage that is desirable. Thx again!

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2021

    Location:  DMV

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Let us know how it goes! It sounds like you've found a nice car, hopefully it turns out to be everything you're expecting. If anything, the peace of mind you will have seeing the car in person first will help start your ownership off on the right foot.

    That's not to say that you can't buy cars sight unseen, but for something like a DeLorean where the whole point is to enjoy the car, it helps to take steps to keep the experience positive.
    You are completely on-target with this!! Definitely dont want a sour experience after receiving the car!!
    Will keep you posted!.thx again

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2021

    Location:  DMV

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    At 50K, go look. I'm sure it's pretty good, but at that price, it's worth looking at. One thing I will say about old cars. Low Mileage is not king. On a forty year old car, I would rather see 80,000 than 15,000. Good luck!
    Yes, thanks to you and other gentlemen here I will fly out there. Im even going to call the mechanic in the next day. Mileage is at 25k, so not a 100% garage queen!! thx again

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2021

    Location:  DMV

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

    Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    It's hard to believe that $50K Deloreans are now considered a good buy. It seems we skipped over the $30K and $40K range and jumped right
    into the $50K standard. But some national websites now have no Deloreans at all being for sale. Bring A Trailer compiles cars from other
    websites and has nothing right now but you can search for previous sales over several years and the price increases were dramatic and ended in
    sales above the reserve. But if you're going to pay $50K you should get a #2 with minor defects but excellent in all areas. This could be part of
    the national trend, even work cars have seen huge price increases. Of course the Delorean is in a category all by itself.
    Yes, never thought I'd pay over 40k for a Delorean, but the ones listed under this amount had too many undesirable quality/cosmetic issues. I dont need a mint Delorean, but it should be in the immediate sub-mint realm. I remember when they sold all day in the low 20's, even supreme specimens!!

    And yes, it certainly is in its own VS category!! thanks for your comments!

  7. #17
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,300

    My VIN:    6125

    According to Hagerty's valuation tool prices are up, especially for #2 cars (around 10k vs a year ago) and #1 cars (up around 8k). Not as much change for the #3 and #4 range.

    Here's a thread from about a year ago where there is more historical data

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?18...914#post265914

  8. #18
    LS1 DMC Nicholas R's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Orlando, Florida

    Posts:    2,708

    My VIN:    01643

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    This depends on the car itself. If you're buying a driver, go see it. There is no question. Especially if they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. Because if you're paying for a car with no problems, the last thing you want is to find a bunch of problems that you're going to have to pay for.

    However, if you're buying a project, sometimes you have to act. If you know there will be problems, and you're buying the car because you expect to fix them, you need to assess how much you're willing to take on, and the amount of risk you're willing to handle.

    Personally, I've been in the market for a project gen I mustang for a while. I was okay with dealing with rust problems, and drivetrain issues, so when the right car came up on ebay I had to jump. In this case, the amount of money I saved by acting quickly and seeking a barging offset the amount of work I'm putting in. When I went to pick it up with my truck and trailer, I barely looked it over. I knew what I was getting: a project.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Henrik's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2011

    Location:  Parker, TX

    Posts:    698

    My VIN:    #1283

    Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

    Maybe it's been stated a bunch of time already but to me it's all about your expectations and abilities:

    If you're like me (and most people here I believe) and you are fully prepared to restore/fix/improve it over time then sight unseen might be an option. If you, on the other hand, are the type that just want to put gas in the tank and go out and drive and have it serviced by someone then a) you should go there and check it out and b) maybe consider a different type of car as a D requires a lot of attention

    For reference: When I bought my D in 2005 I sent a signed letter of intent to the seller basically committing to buying the car if the ad was "real" pending my inspection when I arrived there. I guess the Ds were in lower demand back then so he had no problem holding the car for me. I would agree that the ad was a lot rosier than what I found when I got there but the price was right and all of the issues I saw were things I could fix easily myself so we made the deal and I drove it home (about 3 hour drive).
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2021

    Location:  DMV

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This depends on the car itself. If you're buying a driver, go see it. There is no question. Especially if they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. Because if you're paying for a car with no problems, the last thing you want is to find a bunch of problems that you're going to have to pay for.

    However, if you're buying a project, sometimes you have to act. If you know there will be problems, and you're buying the car because you expect to fix them, you need to assess how much you're willing to take on, and the amount of risk you're willing to handle.

    Personally, I've been in the market for a project gen I mustang for a while. I was okay with dealing with rust problems, and drivetrain issues, so when the right car came up on ebay I had to jump. In this case, the amount of money I saved by acting quickly and seeking a barging offset the amount of work I'm putting in. When I went to pick it up with my truck and trailer, I barely looked it over. I knew what I was getting: a project.
    Thanks, Nick. Great points. I am making the trek to see it, thanks to knowledgeable guys like you!
    Its a really bad feeling to receive a car thats way under your expectations...been there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •