FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Refrigerant "sniffed" at vents

Refrigerant "sniffed" at vents

I've been losing pressure in my AC system, enough over a week to have the compressor stop engaging. I had my mechanic check it out and refill the system with dye and he found no leaks. Water collected at the dripping hose shows no signs of dye either. Using a sniffer I was able to get a slight hit deep in the passenger door vent inside the dash. Is this a guaranteed evaporator leak? I hope not.
    Thanks Jason

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is rare to have an evap coil leak in the Delorean. If you don't see dye in the condensate water then it is doubtful the evap coil is leaking. I have had a lot of success with the newer sealers for small leaks. Have your mechanic use one in your system. If you are still using the original hoses they should all be replaced. If you lost your A/C in a week you have a leak that is big enough that it should be easy to find. Replace the Shrader valve cores and use metal caps to seal them.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is rare to have an evap coil leak in the Delorean. If you don't see dye in the condensate water then it is doubtful the evap coil is leaking. I have had a lot of success with the newer sealers for small leaks. Have your mechanic use one in your system. If you are still using the original hoses they should all be replaced. If you lost your A/C in a week you have a leak that is big enough that it should be easy to find. Replace the Shrader valve cores and use metal caps to seal them.
    Thanks for the tips, with a manifold gauge should I be able to add the sealant myself?
    Jason

My VIN:    10309

The stop leak can has the same size fitting as a regular can of freon. Just add it and enough freon to get the system working then give it a couple of days
    to see if it has stopped the leak.