FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Actron Dwell Meter and Idle Hunting

My VIN:    10855

One issue with a digital display is the visual swing, it's a lot easier to see with an analog gauge. I've tried a fluke 123 scope to measure the signal but it was easier with a 1980s dwell meter.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Because then Michael would be posting pics of you taking a leak while splitting hairs...
    My photo cache of DeLorean owners relieving themselves would make Chris Burns envious.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    why don't you buy a simple 20-30$ oszilloscope instead of that dwell sh.. ? we're in 2021 not 19821 anymore we have smartphones now and don't use phone booths anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by Acmetowers View Post
    One issue with a digital display is the visual swing, it's a lot easier to see with an analog gauge. I've tried a fluke 123 scope to measure the signal but it was easier with a 1980s dwell meter.
    I better get with the program! I inherited this from my father, been using it for years now, mostly for older cars that don’t have a tach. Still use it, seems to work great so have never seen the need to buy a new one.

Tach-Dwell.jpg

Can you guess the vintage?

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Disconnecting the O2 sensor wire would result in the FV running at 50% duty cycle (45 deg. dwell). Yes you still adjust the mixture with the adjustment "screw" but you would need a wideband tail pipe meter to set the mixture to a known value. I would guess you do the same if you unplug the FV or not power the lambda system.
    Am I understanding correctly that you could either have the FV running (at constant 50%) or disable it and enrich the fuel mix to compensate - and achieve the same performance?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by deloreandmcxii View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that you could either have the FV running (at constant 50%) or disable it and enrich the fuel mix to compensate - and achieve the same performance?
    To step in on this with knowledge on your car after servicing recently. Your car does not have an oxygen sensor in the custom exhaust or a working frequency valve circuit. You can still make a base CO adjustment with a wideband oxygen sensor but not with the method involving dwell on the lambda circuit.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    To step in on this with knowledge on your car after servicing recently. Your car does not have an oxygen sensor in the custom exhaust or a working frequency valve circuit. You can still make a base CO adjustment with a wideband oxygen sensor but not with the method involving dwell on the lambda circuit.
    Thanks Josh! Yeah, I was just trying to understand how things work. So given my FV isn’t running, the fuel mix must be tuned richer to compensate - right? And because without a O2 sensor anyway, the fuel mixture would be a constant either way (Fv running at 50% vs Richer mix and no FV)

Am I understanding?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The fuel mixture is working off it's base curve without any type of dump from the valve. Essentially it just isn't looking for anything as it is mechanical and doesn't know any better aside from the warm up curve from the CPR. You can safely set this with a wideband and be good to go. The Lambda system isn't critical to the car. Your mpg will see negative results from this. Recommendation would be to set to 14.7 +/- .3 and be good to go. This was checked when we installed our braided fuel injection line kit procedure. Your adjustment was off due to the number of vacuum leaks on the intake system, pipe of agony leak, manifold issue at w pipe etc. Once all of those were corrected it was in the 14's.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    1335

Are the mixture values the same with an automatic, or should the dwell be adjusted either more rich or lean?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yep - The spec is for stock, auto or manual.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3