FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine won't fire after rebuilt

My VIN:    05257

Engine won't fire after rebuilt

Hello, the mechanic has tried to start the engine. He cranked for 15 seconds. There were occasional firing but it would not start. We will need to replace the battery on Monday and try again.
    At least the oil pressure is up while cranking (low pressure was the reason for rebuild).

In the meantime, perhaps you have some clues of where to look at? Please see the video. Thanks!
    https://youtu.be/MWUxsRSg7NA

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

From the sound of the couple pops, it sound like it’s out of time or incorrect ignition wire placement. Was the distributor removed?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Yes it was removed...Looks very good inside. We also think the ignition distribution most probably. Thanks for advise!

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, fresh battery will be good.

First step is to see if it's mainly a fuel or ignition issue. The pops during cranking suggest you have some of both available.

Try it with starting fluid. If it fires and runs/races smoothly for even just 2-5 seconds on that then chase the fuel issue first. If not, then ignition.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, fresh battery will be good.

First step is to see if it's mainly a fuel or ignition issue. The pops during cranking suggest you have some of both available.

Try it with starting fluid. If it fires and runs/races smoothly for even just 2-5 seconds on that then chase the fuel issue first. If not, then ignition.
    To me, the two pops sounded like it was coming from the intake.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Make sure the distributor cap is fully seated. It can be tricky if your intake is still on the engine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

sounds like ignition timing is off. or cam timing. what was rebuilt?

Arrow

Mechanic has put the ignition distributor cap other way around initially and he fixed it. We also got new battery. But this time there was no fuel pressure, he said the fuel pump was not working. He removed the RPM relay and jumped it - fuel pump started to buzz but the engine still did not start. He will try tomorrow again. Also he mentioned that the crankshaft pulley had two marks, 180 deg apart. Is this normal? He will remove the pulley to make sure the timing is correct looking at the mark on the crankshaft.

RPM Relay was working before.
    Last edited by Azar; 08-11-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    sounds like ignition timing is off. or cam timing. what was rebuilt?
    New cylinders and pistons, new oil pump, new crankshaft bearings and crankshaft was polished.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Also he mentioned that the crankshaft pulley had two marks, 180 deg apart. Is this normal? He will remove the pulley to make sure the timing is correct looking at the mark on the crankshaft.
    Two marks is correct. See post #57 for explaination:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ing-idle/page6
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast