FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Creaky/Groaning Sound in the Back

My VIN:    05818

Creaky/Groaning Sound in the Back

Hello again.
    In the past month, a rather concerning sound has started forming near the back of my car, especially when turning. It's become audible enough to keep me from driving it on the weekends, which is frankly depressing. I've provided a video below:

I started searching on YouTube and a fair bit of backtracking on this very forum to see what it might be, and I've narrowed it down to the trailing arm, one of the bushings (wouldn't surprise me considering how rubber ages), or perhaps the spring itself, which is kinda dirty/rusty. I'd like to be 100% sure before I try to send it to any mechanic; I don't have a garage to attempt fixing anything myself, nor do I have any experience.
    The clunking/groaning only sounds when driving; When I try to push or bounce the car up and down, no noise is made.
    Also provided are some shots of the rear driver-side wheel where it feels like the noise is strongest Obviously, she's not concours:

What would you folks recommend to remedy this?

My VIN:    11596

Something is seriously loose. Sounds like a wheel bearing or the trailing arm pivot. I'm hearing more of a clunking than a squeaking though.

I had a squeaking sound at low speed and even with the car parked and I leaned into the passenger side door, like to work on the fuse area. It was my shocks/springs. I replaced with coilovers and it went away.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    05257

Sounds like something in the driveline and not suspension. Wheel bearing probably it. Try to juck up the car and spin the wheel. But again, without the load the sound might not be coming.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bar

how about the curved bar that goes behind
    the block and bolts to the frame? loose bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    how about the curved bar that goes behind
    the block and bolts to the frame? loose bolts?
    Curved bar?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You might try leaving it in gear (or park) and e-brake off, then check out what everything does underneath while someone else rocks the car forward and back/bounces the rear up and down. Or, with it on the ground, try to wiggle anything you can reach with a pry bar....

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PotooBrigham View Post
    Curved bar?
    The crossbrace. It's painted black - a bent round tube with flat ends bolted to the top of each side of the frame on each side of the engine.

Item 6 in this diagram.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The crossbrace. It's painted black - a bent round tube with flat ends bolted to the top of each side of the frame on each side of the engine.

Item 6 in this diagram.
    Ah, I see. How do I get to that?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

You'll find the crossbrace running across the firewall behind the engine. The ends sit on top of a flange in the body tub on each side. The bolts go through the flat ends of the brace, then through the tub flange and into the frame.

Get to the left one easily. It's in plain sight. Remove the ignition/connector cover in the right rear corner of the bay - if your car still has one of those - for better access to the right one.

This photo shows the black brace and its bolts clearly since the engine isn't fully built up.

I'd guess the noise in your video is from something else but since loose body bolts are a thing with this car it never hurts to check any of them and these are among the easier ones to get to.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03430

I had a similar sound coming from my front wheel. Turned out it was the bearing. It makes an awful sounding noise, but magically when you take the weight off of it and spin the wheel it did not make the sound at all. I changed out the bearing and its all good now.

Heres a video of my issue.

https://youtu.be/urwCInc1LYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast