FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Creaky/Groaning Sound in the Back

My VIN:    03430

Definitely replace that bearing and also get new Hub axle nuts. The hub nuts have a locking tension designed into the threads, they can wear out after repeated use. That is why they are recommended to be replaced any time the are loosened since you don't know how many times its been done before.

The rear bearing is pressed into the hub carrier, not a trivial thing to replace.

My VIN:    11596

Sorry man, all the stuff I wrote this morning was for the FRONT wheel bearings. I can't edit the post.

But yeah the rear wheel bearing is hard to do. I opted to remove the rear carrier and take it to a machine shop so it can be professionally replaced while I did a full overhaul of the rear suspension.

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIP5NSeJCBM

Apologies for the confusion!!
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    05818

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    If your stub axle nut was loose, the wheel bearing is definitely toast. I'd wager the bearing or the rotor scraping on the brakes is the source of your noise. Make sure you carefully inspect the stub axle and hub, as they too may be damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    Definitely replace that bearing and also get new Hub axle nuts. The hub nuts have a locking tension designed into the threads, they can wear out after repeated use. That is why they are recommended to be replaced any time the are loosened since you don't know how many times its been done before.

The rear bearing is pressed into the hub carrier, not a trivial thing to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post

But yeah the rear wheel bearing is hard to do. I opted to remove the rear carrier and take it to a machine shop so it can be professionally replaced while I did a full overhaul of the rear suspension.

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIP5NSeJCBM

Apologies for the confusion!!
    Aw dang, that's a fair bit of an issue.

I'll give the video a look, grab the necessary parts, and will update if anything changes. Any continued advice is massively appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3