FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 37 of 103 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I like that the boxes are free. I always have three or four of every size in a closet at home so I can pack stuff up whenever I feel like it.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    I used to do that but my local post office gives you a hard time about taking flat rate boxes. They say if "Hey of you aren't using that to mail something out you can't take them"
    I say "Yeah eventually"
    They say "Well that's not what it is for...if your not mailing something today or tomorrow you shouldn't take them"

I think this is another case of a few people ruining it for everyone else. People grabbing an armful of flat rate boxes for moving or organizing thier junk.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Similar experience here. Shipping anything further away than a couple of hundred miles always seems to be cheaper if it goes flat rate. The small, medium and large boxes are free at the post office too which is also nice. USPS has a lot of other free boxes you can order online in various shapes and sizes.

Regional rate boxes were also a good way to save but USPS got rid of those a few months ago, unfortunately.

Interesting note on the small flat rate box... It also has a maximum weight of 70lbs. But due to the small volume, it's physically impossible to exceed the weight limit even if you packed it with the most dense element on earth.
    Shipping priority overseas, flat rate box is always about 40% less then your own box. I use two post offices and they leave the free boxes in racks so take as many as you need. Never had any worker comment for taking them.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    We ended up pushing pause on trying to get the headlight parts all off from the car. It was taking too long, we were getting frustrated, and I feel like we are getting to the point where we have taken apart too much of the car without putting anything back together yet. Really the biggest deciding factor was finding out that we can buy brand new complete headlight mount assemblies for $123.00 each. I have a blasting booth, the adjustment screws and plastic nuts,...springs aren't much but the convenience and time saving of just buying complete assmeblies ready to go won me over.
    I bought a set of headlight housings from DGo and about to powder coat them. Really is a no-brainer instead of messing with 40 year old rusty parts.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Received an email from DMW. They said they unboxed all of my parts to be re-plated and sent them out to be plated. They said they should be done in a couple weeks.

They charge by the bucket load. This seems like an odd way to determine cost. I have done prepping and plating myself and I find all of the small parts to be the biggest pain to deal with not the large parts like calipers for instance. So if they want to charge that way it is fine by me. The wife and I are excited to see the after pics.

These two parts on my distributor were rusted so bad that they can't be used. I message Mike at DMW to see if he could get me these parts while he has my parts that are getting plated so that I can have them plated at the same time.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    These two parts on my distributor were rusted so bad that they can't be used. I message Mike at DMW to see if he could get me these parts while he has my parts that are getting plated so that I can have them plated at the same time.

If you can't find them, reach out to Bill Robertson. He has a ton of spare distributors, mostly other slightly different versions but I bet all that stuff is the same.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

We got our parts back from being re-plated at DMW.
    They were great to deal with and I couldn't be more pleased with how everything came out and how they took care of us.

Here are some before pics for reference.

Oh and a special shout out to Andy Lien who kept suggesting that I send our parts to DMW to be replated. I should have just done this in the first place rather than wasting time and money trying to do them myself.

My VIN:    6125

Great results on the re-plated parts going through DMC Midwest. I had similar results when I sent them a bunch of parts 10 years ago, and the plating is still holding up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Great results on the re-plated parts going through DMC Midwest. I had similar results when I sent them a bunch of parts 10 years ago, and the plating is still holding up well.
    That's great Mark

Page 37 of 103 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast