FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 793

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #291
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    747

    I started trying install the DPI fuel line kit. It is very confusing without any directions or pictures or tags on the lines. Right off the bat I had issues trying to get these bulkhead type fittings into the holders on the frame. It was way too tight of a fit. I tried chamfering the edges in hopes of it sliding in easier. I tried using the nut on the fitting to pull the fitting into holder. Unfortunately instead of pulling into the holder it stripped out the threads. Bummer....I wonder how long it will take to get another one of those...

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #292
    Junior Member AussieDMC's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Brisbane, Australia

    Posts:    26

    My VIN:    2883

    That fitting on the frame is for the flexible brake hoses that go to each caliper.
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    02883

  3. #293
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    747

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDMC View Post
    That fitting on the frame is for the flexible brake hoses that go to each caliper.
    This is part of a kit. These are the fittings that go into the holders with this kit.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  4. #294
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    747

    Well, yesterday was a very frustrating day. I drove an hour to pick up my parts that i had plated only to be completely disappointed. When I picked up the parts, i was impressed with how every part was individually wrapped in gift paper like you put in a birthday gift bag. I assumed the parts would be stunningly beautiful, so I paid the lady at the plating shop the $590 that I owed them.
    I drove for 15 minutes then couldn't stand it anymore. I had to see how awesome these parts came out. Much to my surprise and utter disappointment, they looked horrible. They looked worse than my worst plating attempt. So I turned around and went back to the place. Now,...something that you should know about me is that I hate confrontation. I avoid it at all costs. I get reslly stressed out and either avoid being assertive, or I just snap and go off on the person.
    Anyways I went back and brought my parts in and said, "Uh...this aint right." The woman said, "The owner said that he told you that the pieces wouldn't come out right because you blasted the parts."
    We went back and forth, and finally, I said, "I will leave my parts here for the owner to look at but I need my money back" She gave me my money back and I left.
    Half an hour later, the owner called me all bent out of shape. He said he wanted me to come back and talk to him about it. I went back (which is the last thing I felt like doing) and got in a heated argument with him.
    Basically, I feel like he didn't send enough current through the parts to properly plate them thick enough and quick enough for them to come out looking good.
    He, on the other hand, blamed the poor results on my prep work,...namely glass bead blasting the parts.
    It was super awkward, but I left with parts and my money. He kept saying over and over, "I don't rip people off!"
    I never once said or insinuated that he was trying to rip me off. So that was kind of interesting . I just kept saying "How is it that I plated similar parts, off the same car, prepped the same exact way, in my $300 hobby plating kit and got them to come out really nice but the stuff you did looks really bad ,"because I prepped it wrong"?" "It doesn't make sense"
    The only part that came out somewhat okay is the fuel filler.
    My wife and I own a small service business with 5 employees, so we wear a lot of hats. We have been overwhelmed and understaffed for over a year now. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of free time to be wasting. So it really sucks to have wasted so much time on this part of the project.
    So now I am back to trying to plate the parts myself or find another place to bring my parts. I was referred to another shop that is nearby, so I have emailed them.
    Fun stuff.


    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  5. #295
    DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Syracuse, UT

    Posts:    633

    My VIN:    2087

    Dang. This is making me more and more grateful that I just went down the route of painting instead of plating. I'm sorry it's been such a long ordeal. I hope you can find a way to get it done in a way you'll be happy with.
    Jared L.

    June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

  6. #296
    Junior Member AussieDMC's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Brisbane, Australia

    Posts:    26

    My VIN:    2883

    You are trying to fit parts of the fuel line kit into holders on the frame that are for the brakes. Those holders are for where the metal brake lines attach to the flexible lines. The flexible lines then go to the caliper/s.
    The metal fuel lines run along the top of the frame on the passenger side, they then attach to the flexible lines which go the the pump/sender.
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    02883

  7. #297
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,465

    My VIN:    6125

    I would have been really disappointed with the plating results as well, especially considering what you paid.

    Your own attempts seem to have turned out way better, so you know it was possible to have them not turn out with the blasting prep you did. If the guy really knew what he was doing he would have tested a few parts first, then made adjustments along the way to improve the results, then refinished anything that didn't turn out before turning the parts back over to you.

    I prepped my parts similar to how you did yours, although I used aluminum oxide blasting media and not glass beads. But the parts were still rough, had pitting from rust on some parts, and overall end results were still great. If I had to do it all over I would have done some sanding on the flat sheet metal parts to try and remove some of the pitting, and then re-blasted for an even surface.

    The shop that DMCMW uses seems to have the process down, because all of my parts turned out nice and bright yellow finish.

  8. #298
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    747

    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Dang. This is making me more and more grateful that I just went down the route of painting instead of plating. I'm sorry it's been such a long ordeal. I hope you can find a way to get it done in a way you'll be happy with.
    Thanks man. Yeah painting is definitely easier.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #299
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    747

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDMC View Post
    You are trying to fit parts of the fuel line kit into holders on the frame that are for the brakes. Those holders are for where the metal brake lines attach to the flexible lines. The flexible lines then go to the caliper/s.
    The metal fuel lines run along the top of the frame on the passenger side, they then attach to the flexible lines which go the the pump/sender.
    Sorry I had an error on that post. It should have said "Brake line kit" not fuel line kit.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #300
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    747

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I would have been really disappointed with the plating results as well, especially considering what you paid.

    Your own attempts seem to have turned out way better, so you know it was possible to have them not turn out with the blasting prep you did. If the guy really knew what he was doing he would have tested a few parts first, then made adjustments along the way to improve the results, then refinished anything that didn't turn out before turning the parts back over to you.

    I prepped my parts similar to how you did yours, although I used aluminum oxide blasting media and not glass beads. But the parts were still rough, had pitting from rust on some parts, and overall end results were still great. If I had to do it all over I would have done some sanding on the flat sheet metal parts to try and remove some of the pitting, and then re-blasted for an even surface.

    The shop that DMCMW uses seems to have the process down, because all of my parts turned out nice and bright yellow finish.
    How much did it cost?

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •