FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1290

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I was a smart man, even back then! Congratulations on the immense progress, honestly I would have given you only a 10% chance of getting here back then. That's just based on so many other people that come and go. At this point there's really nothing stopping you! Well, besides time, marriage, and a wallet getting emptier!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Haha yup.
    If I hadn't done other restoration projects in the past, we probably wouldn't have made it.
    Starting with a car that you have never seen run and drive definitely makes it more difficult to keep going.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 07-04-2024 at 08:44 AM.

No more guesses on how many hours we have invested so far?
    Well it is roughly 650 hours. But that is times two of us so really 1,300 hours. This does not include research hours- reading write ups, watching YouTube video, calling or messaging other owners, vendors etc., posting on FB hours, posting on here hours, making parts lists, ordering parts, buying parts and tools locally, etc. If I had to guess I'd say another 100 to 200 hours there. So we are looking at roughly 1,500 man hours so far.
    We are probably going to be around 2,000 by the time we get the car on the road, redo the interior, stereo system, roof box, re-grain exterior, etc.
    Fiscally we are into it for around $55,000.00 last time I checked. That includes the $12,500.00 that we paid for the car.
    That is a LOT of money for a middle class couple like us. Probably not the wisest use of our time and money honestly. But better than doing drugs or something I suppose. Actually I'd say it is a better investment than buying an expensive new rare vehicle like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.

I often think of this scene when I ponder how much time and money we have spent.

https://youtube.com/shorts/P3t5O1E4_...1TL4CLp1JQuP3i

Lol

Interesting data.

You cannot put a value on the time you and Tam have spent together through the good and the bad of this project. You both own it and did a lot of bonding between the two of you. I give both of you a lot of credit.

I think you should let Tam take the first drive in it and take a video.

Thanks for all of your sharing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Interesting data.

You cannot put a value on the time you and Tam have spent together through the good and the bad of this project. You both own it and did a lot of bonding between the two of you. I give both of you a lot of credit.

I think you should let Tam take the first drive in it and take a video.

Thanks for all of your sharing with us.
    Yeah might have to do that

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Fiscally we are into it for around $55,000.00 last time I checked. That includes the $12,500.00 that we paid for the car.
    That is a LOT of money for a middle class couple like us. Probably not the wisest use of our time and money honestly.
    Only you can judge if the time was enjoyable or not. (You won?t get paid for it.) But 55 grand is cheap for your car. If you were going to sell it, I would expect you to list it above 100 grand. So doubling your money sounds like a pretty good investment to me.

Edit, When I finished my 10 year project truck and began enjoying it, all was great. Now it’s been a couple years and I miss the project part. I might start another even though I might not live long enough to finish. lol.
    Last edited by Helirich; 07-07-2024 at 11:06 AM.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Only you can judge if the time was enjoyable or not. (You won?t get paid for it.) But 55 grand is cheap for your car. If you were going to sell it, I would expect you to list it above 100 grand. So doubling your money sounds like a pretty good investment to me.
    Um. It's not driveable yet!

Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Um. It's not driveable yet!

Haha yeah... thats assuming we finish it. If i sold it in its current state technically it would be considered a project car. Albeit a very valuable project car.

I grabbed my tire that keeps going flat and the rear tire that I found wheel weighs on the floor near and brought them to the tire place near my shop. They were really good last time...well other than giving me a wheel/tire that was leaking and a wheel with wheel weights that weren't stuck on well. This time it was a totally different staff. Kind if a rough crew. The original weights were painted steel which matched the wheels perfectly. This time the weights were zinc plated...bummer.
    The tire that was leaking they took a sander to on the inside and put a bunch of black goop on the bead of the rim. Not sure if that's standard or not. Seemed kind if hack.
    They showed me how they moved the weights closer to the outside of the rim "so it will stick better"
    Uh....yeah and now you can see the weights from outside. Ugh...
    I'm probably being nit-picky but I was disappointed and wished I had gone to a high-end shop.

They do alignments there and they are only 1 mile from my shop but I don't know if I want them doing the alignment.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I grabbed my tire that keeps going flat and the rear tire that I found wheel weighs on the floor near and brought them to the tire place near my shop. They were really good last time...well other than giving me a wheel/tire that was leaking and a wheel with wheel weights that weren't stuck on well. This time it was a totally different staff. Kind if a rough crew. The original weights were painted steel which matched the wheels perfectly. This time the weights were zinc plated...bummer.
    The tire that was leaking they took a sander to on the inside and put a bunch of black goop on the bead of the rim. Not sure if that's standard or not. Seemed kind if hack.
    They showed me how they moved the weights closer to the outside of the rim "so it will stick better"
    Uh....yeah and now you can see the weights from outside. Ugh...
    I'm probably being nit-picky but I was disappointed and wished I had gone to a high-end shop.

They do alignments there and they are only 1 mile from my shop but I don't know if I want them doing the alignment.

Yeah don't use them. Try to find out where the scca guys go for race alignments, whatever they go, the shop will be more willing to do custom work rather than " set the toe and let It go"

Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

"Sharpening The Saw",...it's something I read in a book once and something my dad tried to teach me. The idea is if you just keep cutting trees but don't ever stop to sharpen your saw, then you are going to end up having a hard time and taking longer to do the job. My parents burned around 8 cord of firewood a year. I, of course, had to help get firewood for the year. I would get so frustrated when my dad and I would just get a good rhythm going, the chainsaw was seemingly cutting well, and he would shut off the chain saw. Next, he'd stand there on the tailgate of the truck slooooowly sharpen the chain saw chain....one tooth at a time...stopping every third swipe of the file to tap the file and blow off the the chain. It used to drive me nuts! He'd say "take a break, drink your water" Now, 35 years later, I get it.
    So instead of working on the car the other night, I "Sharpened the saw"
    I rounded up tools, I removed a toolbox out of a old work van, cleaned it, and set it up, I totally reorganized my big toolbox, etc.
    It was actually quite fun.

I found two old school analog dwell meters and one digital meter that does dwell. I'm pretty sure that the last time I tried to use the digital meter it wouldn't work right...maybe the battery terminals were corroded??

I'm not sure if this model of dwell meter will work on a Delorean or not.

Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129