FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driver Wanted

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It's good to know you are still searching for the right car.

In order to understand your target $US price and condition here is a comparison transaction:

Is a car like this one what you are thinking about? Below-average cosmetics. Engine starts and runs. Presumably able to pass road safety inspection but the seller did not make such a claim.
    Sold for ~$US37K 4 months ago.

5-speed
    No frame rust seen in photos
    Heater and A/C non-operational
    Dents in at least 3 body panels/doors
    Unusual hood alignment, distorted front fascia
    Cracked binnacle, dashboard, glove box lid, bad headliners

This was your target in a post 7 months ago - any update?
    I'm in touch with DMC, but they currently only have cars in the 70+ range.
    Cosmetics is less important to me as long as it is somewhat mechanically sound.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for replying.

The car from bringatrailer looked interesting, but I’d rather pay another 10-15k+ to acquire something a little better shape.

As for DMC, I am still regularly checking in with them, but their prices seems to be going up and up. But my target remind the same.

Any Leads would be appreciated. I’ve heard from others that you just have to keep reminding people out there of your interest, and then something will come along.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kdlex View Post
    Hi Rich,

Any Leads would be appreciated. I’ve heard from others that you just have to keep reminding people out there of your interest, and then something will come along.
    With respect, I'm not sure you're clear on your budget either with yourself or with us. Something like 250 cars change hands every year worldwide (200 US, rest elsewhere)
    and the number for sale in the UK is while small, hardly impossible to find. 2 in the UK sold at action just in the last few weeks for 46K GBP and 62K GBP. I appreciate
    that UK prices are somewhat more than in the US and importing a car from the US is an additional step, but it's a well worn path.

So, I do not think there's a shortage of cars to choose from. I've personally given up recommending specific cars to people since they are always "not suitable". It's not
    a good experience for me.

For US purchases, the very minimum you'd want to spend for a sorted car is $60K, and even then you'll likely be spending more in the following months.

I would suppose the best time to buy one of these cars is in a few months when we get more into the recession. It’s hard to sell specialty cars in a recession. Prices should go down. If the administration decides to print a ton more money to delay the recession, then you might have to wait til after November elections. Of course, this depends on the recession not hitting you too directly. (Keeping you from buying)

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks. I believe the 46K was an auto, and I am looking for a manual. As for the 62K one, I was bidding in the auction, but the price went above my hard stop. At 62K, it would have cost me another 15K to import and get it accepted for registration so that made it "not suitable" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    With respect, I'm not sure you're clear on your budget either with yourself or with us. Something like 250 cars change hands every year worldwide (200 US, rest elsewhere)
    and the number for sale in the UK is while small, hardly impossible to find. 2 in the UK sold at action just in the last few weeks for 46K GBP and 62K GBP. I appreciate
    that UK prices are somewhat more than in the US and importing a car from the US is an additional step, but it's a well worn path.

So, I do not think there's a shortage of cars to choose from. I've personally given up recommending specific cars to people since they are always "not suitable". It's not
    a good experience for me.

For US purchases, the very minimum you'd want to spend for a sorted car is $60K, and even then you'll likely be spending more in the following months.

Thanks. I believe the 46K was an auto, and I am looking for a manual. As for the 62K one, I was bidding in the auction, but the price went above my hard stop. At 62K, it would have cost me another 15K to import and get it accepted for registration so that made it "not suitable" for me.
    I would think you should be able to find a manual easier than a auto. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a auto because my wife won’t drive mine. (Clutch to hard to push) I would really like to sell her vette and have the D for “our” sports car. I drive a custom truck a lot, so it would be nice to have less vehicles. Right now we have six cars between the two of us. I would like to get that down to three.

If I find a auto that suits me, I will pm you about the possibility of selling mine, but I kind of doubt it can compete with you buying from Europe.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

A potential car on consignment in Calif.

Here is info about a car that might meet your criteria. 5spd + black.

Ignore the listed price. The selling agent(s) will almost certainly negotiate price downward.

It has been in the showroom for at least one month.

I saw it there today (no visible leaks or the shop cleaned the concrete floor recently).

SF Sportscars last sold a DeLorean just before Covid-time. Shop is open 11am-4pm Tues-Sat, time zone Pacific GMT-8.

One other point; you may wish to discuss with our forum administrator about moving this thread to a different category here, For Sale Want to Buy/DeLorean Cars
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    One other point; you may wish to discuss with our forum administrator about moving this thread to a different category here, For Sale Want to Buy/DeLorean Cars
    Hey Rich,
    This thread was in the For Sale & Services / Want To Buy section and moved here because that section is reserved for "DeLorean Items you own and would like to sell. DeLorean Services you offer. Items and services you wish to purchase. Vendors Welcome!", and the OP asked for any assistance or leads...
    (Things have been lot smoother since the change in the rules ;-)

Hi Rich an Ron and Forum,

Thanks for all the input and advice. I am happy to share that I am now the proud owner of a late 81, manual with grey interior Delorean DMC-12!

It has apparently had a rough past, but was fully restored by Chris at PJ Grady UK a few years ago. I picked it up in France and made it back to Switzerland after a 7+ hour drive. I guess that is a good a test as any to check the condition of the car.

The trip was not without hickups. There seems to be an issue with the fifth gear that kept popping out. I am also not sure about the fuel tank/leaking. I had to refill the tank three times, but I have looked and cannot see anything dripping underneath. The fule gage also never shows "full" even after refilling the tank.

Other things that needs to be fixed is the driver side window and the control for the side/view mirrors. There was also an issue with the electric relay for the back right lights. The seller also said the A/C needs to be refilled. There were some other things I am going to look into having fixed. I have a guy here in Switzerland who has been an owner for decades and knows what he is doing, so I am hoping he can help me out.

I am also hoping the seller will do right by me on some of things that wasn't working, as had promised me a car in a "different" condition. The seller has also been in the community for decades so I am hoping for some goodwill from his side.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast