FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front springs tall vs short

Front springs tall vs short

Hey guys. I can't use the coil springs on the frame that was on my car because they have been butchered.
    I bought a early 81 frame that had springs on it still. I'd like to use those on my car but I am worried that they may be the tall ones that put the nose up in the air. How do I know? Are they different length springs? If so does anyone know the lengths for the tall and the short?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Hey guys. I can't use the coil springs on the frame that was on my car because they have been butchered.
    I bought a early 81 frame that had springs on it still. I'd like to use those on my car but I am worried that they may be the tall ones that put the nose up in the air. How do I know? Are they different length springs? If so does anyone know the lengths for the tall and the short?

There were different ways people tried to lower the car before there were coilovers available. Some people tried to cut the front springs (one coil) but that doesn't work so well because the top and bottom of the coil has to be squared and flat. But some people did it.

The most common trick was to get some lowering springs from someone like Rob Grady and they go on the front. Then you would swap the front springs to the rear. It looks pretty good that way but apparently the spring rate was different in the rear to accommodate the rear weight bias. So it looks good and is fine for driving around town but it's not as good as a custom set of springs like Eibach or even better, coil-overs.

Here's a picture of my old FRONT SPRINGS on the left (which were then moved to the REAR) and Grady front lowering springs on the right.

By the way I still have the OLD FRONT SPRINGS you see here which can go on front (high nose) or back (lower stance) for sale. I switched to coilovers. The Grady springs are already sold.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 103959.jpg
    Attached Images
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    There were different ways people tried to lower the car before there were coilovers available. Some people tried to cut the front springs (one coil) but that doesn't work so well because the top and bottom of the coil has to be squared and flat. But some people did it.

The most common trick was to get some lowering springs from someone like Rob Grady and they go on the front. Then you would swap the front springs to the rear. It looks pretty good that way but apparently the spring rate was different in the rear to accommodate the rear weight bias. So it looks good and is fine for driving around town but it's not as good as a custom set of springs like Eibach or even better, coil-overs.

Here's a picture of my old FRONT SPRINGS on the left (which were then moved to the REAR) and Grady front lowering springs on the right.

By the way I still have the OLD FRONT SPRINGS you see here which can go on front (high nose) or back (lower stance) for sale. I switched to coilovers. The Grady springs are already sold.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 103959.jpg
    Yeah this is the set up that came on our car. Looks like Frankenstein,...literally lol20220118_142015.jpg

So it sounds like my safest bet is to just buy new springs and shocks.

My VIN:    10644

I don't have various springs on-hand to measure for you. I'd give DMC a call and ask them for the measurements.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    11596

So it sounds like my safest bet is to just buy new springs and shocks.

If you only need springs, you might be able to find them from someone who switched to coilovers for a song. If you need shocks also, I'd go with a coilover setup. I have DPI coilovers but KW coilovers are popular and a great buy as well.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 133006.jpg
    Attached Images
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    If you only need springs, you might be able to find them from someone who switched to coilovers for a song. If you need shocks also, I'd go with a coilover setup. I have DPI coilovers but KW coilovers are popular and a great buy as well.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 133006.jpg
    This! It’s nice to have the adjustability of coil overs.

It’s a common misconception that DeLorean used “tall” springs on some cars for ground clearance, USA bumper height laws or some other nonsense. There is no proof of that whatsoever, and the US bumper height laws didn’t change when DMC was in business.

The reality is that the original springs were cheap junk, causing some cars to sit too high in the front. There is some good supporting evidence out there, including letters from DMC to DMCL complaining about the ride height (note that DMCL’s response wasn’t “we had to do that for legal reasons”). The suspension wasn’t changed to meet any kind of requirement, it was just the consequence of bad parts.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    It’s a common misconception that DeLorean used “tall” springs on some cars for ground clearance, USA bumper height laws or some other nonsense. There is no proof of that whatsoever, and the US bumper height laws didn’t change when DMC was in business.

The reality is that the original springs were cheap junk, causing some cars to sit too high in the front. There is some good supporting evidence out there, including letters from DMC to DMCL complaining about the ride height (note that DMCL’s response wasn’t “we had to do that for legal reasons”). The suspension wasn’t changed to meet any kind of requirement, it was just the consequence of bad parts.
    For further comedy, I have a set of springs that I think are NOS and thus; but probably therefore of limited interest, but someone might want them one day.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Can you measure the free length to know what you have?

The free length of stock front springs is ~ 14.25"
    The free length of stock rear springs is ~ 16.00"
    The free length of Eibach front springs is ~ 12.75"
    The free length of Eibach rear springs is ~ 14.25"
    The free length of Grady front springs is ~ 13.25"

All of the above springs have the same spring rate of ~150lb/in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast