FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Loosening stuck bolts w/o shearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    With installing the inserts you have a much stronger connection. You can use more force if the bolt requires it because the insert is bonding to more area of the soft aluminum. When we were making castings for the military we always had inserts in all bolt holes.
    Yeah i agree. Which is why I switched the threaded holes in my motorcycle engine (which was aluminum with SS fasteners) to SS Helicoils. I think that every threaded hole in aluminum on an engine should have a SS thread insert locktited in it. Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I thought that they both required the tool and were permanent. Maybe I have been using timeserts and not Helicoil then

The Time-serts comes with a drill bit, a counter sink bit, a tap and a special tool to install the time-sert (it kind of looks like a tap) that flares out the base of it once it's fully seated.

Helicoils just require a drill bit, tap and plastic tool to assists in installing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    ....Also, TimeSert doesn't offer stainless inserts in M7, while Heli-Coils are stainless.
    Unless you're installing stainless bolts in the stainless helicoils, it really doesn't matter, any steel bolt will seize on the stainless and when you go to remove them later on, you'll also be pulling out the helicoil as well and create a bigger mess. I've had bolts in time-serts for years and I've been able to remove the bolt with no issues at all. Helicoils are just "springs" where I've had them pull put when torquing bolts to spec. Time-serts are steel with real threads in them and are much much tougher.

The Time-serts really do not need that much material removed, the outer portion of the time-sert is usually just the next size up.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    The Time-serts comes with a drill bit, a counter sink bit, a tap and a special tool to install the time-sert (it kind of looks like a tap) that flares out the base of it once it's fully seated.

Helicoils just require a drill bit, tap and plastic tool to assists in installing them.
    Ok I have helicoils then. It's been over a year since I used my kit. I put locktite on the threads to lock the insert in place

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 01-25-2022 at 09:02 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5