FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Brass bolt on mixture unit broken

My VIN:    10207

Brass bolt on mixture unit broken

Old injury, but I thought I'd take care of it now that the mixture unit is out of the car and I'm waiting for my induction heater:
    DSC_0506.jpg
    How do I get this miserable little bugger out?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

20220111_155825.jpg
    I have the same issue and reluctant to use easy out.
    Going to try a different method - will let you know if it works...

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Old injury, but I thought I'd take care of it now that the mixture unit is out of the car and I'm waiting for my induction heater:
    DSC_0506.jpg
    Us a sharp drill bit as the piece is brass (obviously) and use oil as you drill a hole in its center. Then slowly use an easy out, those brass bolts have an oring at the end of them that seals it which is why they are tough to get out, they are not corroded in. Don't use an induction heater on it.

I used an easy out on mine as the PO tried to adjust it and snapped it (it was also backed out a bit so it had to come out). Turning the easy out slowly extracted it cleanly with no issues, for me.

My VIN:    03572

DSC_0506.jpg
    I don't think an induction heater would work on brass or aluminum. Probably not even stainless steel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

An induction heater (or any kind of heat or spray) is not necessary because it is not stuck because of corrosion. All you need is some way to mechanically attach to it. Either try cutting a slot in it with a die grinder or Dremel to use a screwdriver or drilling into it to use an Ezy-Out or a reverse (left hand) drill or even drill and tap it and stick a bolt in it. As mentioned, it is hard to turn because of an "O" ring.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I don't think an induction heater would work on brass or aluminum. Probably not even stainless steel.
    Induction heaters will work on any metal that conducts electricity. There is an often heard misconception that induction heaters will only work on metal that can be magnetized. Not the case, any metal that can conduct electrical current can be heated. However, metals that have lower electrical resistance are more difficult to heat with induction. So copper, aluminum, and brass which present a lower resistance to electric current take longer for an induction heater to heat up. Steel has a higher resistance and will heat relatively quickly. Dave is right that aluminum or brass will not heat up as easily as steel. It will take longer for the induction heater to work with those materials. That's the reason cast iron pans are preferred for an induction stovetop.

No, I'm no induction heater expert. I was (and still am) considering getting an induction heater. I spent hours down the google rabbit-hole looking into this.
    Ron

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Since, as D:01:13 says, they are not used on a DeLorean, why not use epoxy...??

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

brass bolts....

I thought those were the bolts we're supposed to
    leave tight. opened they will give you vacuum leaks....?

My VIN:    10207

Cool Victory!

Used a diamond bur to cut a slot in the screw, and used a straight/flat screwdriver to screw it out. Relatively easy.
    DSC_0512.jpg
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Used a diamond bur to cut a slot in the screw, and used a straight/flat screwdriver to screw it out. Relatively easy.
    DSC_0512.jpg
    20220125_160459.jpg
    I tried to secure a hex nut but that didn't work, but your suggestion did! Thanks.

Robert