FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly manufactured tail lights

Newly manufactured tail lights

DPI will sell brand new tail light assemblies by the end of this year:

https://deloreanindustries.com/d-tec...uring-update-/

I’m assuming that unlike the 3D printed variety these will be DOT compliant.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Technically they would need to be DOT compliant to be utilized on a vehicle registered to operate on American roadways. This is good news!
    Last edited by Timeless; 01-28-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Technically they would need to be DOT compliant to be utilized on a vehicle registered to operate on American roadways. This is good news!
    Right, but one of the local hobbies here is to have taillights which are out; and probably don't get fixed until your yearly inspection. I doubt anyone's paying attention. especially not on a
    DeLorean.

Agreed. Nobody's looking at a 40+ year old car taillights for DOT related issues.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Agreed. Nobody's looking at a 40+ year old car taillights for DOT related issues.
    However in a reverse case that I just remembered, I got pulled over in California for having a tail light out - I was literally
    pulling into the auto parts store to get a new bulb. But even then, it's not like the cop was gonna be looking at the
    tiny writing on the lens.

Are all those silver “euro” taillight lenses I see on pickup trucks dot approved?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Are all those silver “euro” taillight lenses I see on pickup trucks dot approved?
    Some are. Look for the DOT markings.
    ~LXA~

My VIN:    03572

Probably not cheap to get DOT approval. Do you think your LED headlights are DOT approved. Maybe the housing is but how can they test it without the light source installed?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

High quality LED units like JW Speaker are DOT compliant. Chinese, eBay, etc... may not be.
    ~LXA~

There's a lot of misinformation on this. In reality, DOT does not "approve" taillight aftermarket LED bulbs or taillights. Rather the manufacturer applies a DOT label indicating they have adhered to DOT standards in the manufacture of the product. It's really a self certification process. No inspection or testing is done by DOT.

https://www.boogeylights.com/theres-...-dot-approved/
    There is significant confusion and misunderstanding regarding lighting regulations for the transportation industry in the United States. Truth is, the terms "DOT approved" or "SAE approved" don't mean anything unless you're talking about headlights. That's because headlights are the only lights required by law to have a "DOT" marking. Even then, the 'DOT' marking only means the manufacturer of the headlight certifies the product was made in compliance with DOT standards; not that the US Department of Transportation has approved it.

Ron Anderson
    DRAYRON

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast