FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Newly manufactured tail lights

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Unfortunately that is not the case in some states. Apparently, too many “off road use only” items are being used as replacement parts and some garages are looking for DOT markings. I recently failed an inspection for having Toby’s third brake light on my car.
    My Corvette third brake light on my D has DOT cast into the lens. My LED headlights don't have any marking.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I’ve lived in states that did not require inspections. I saw a lot of turds that shouldn’t be on the road. As annoying as the inspection is, for many people it’s the only motivation they have to keep their car in any kind of safe, properly working order.
    It might keep some ugly cars off the road, but it’s not safer.

https://www.theamericanconsumer.org/...make-us-safer/

Edit, I believe a cop can give a “fix it” ticket when something is obviously unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post

Edit, I believe a cop can give a “fix it” ticket when something is obviously unsafe.
    Sure, but you’ve got to be caught first. You never know when a cop will catch you with your busted windshield, but you do know that the yearly inspection will.

My VIN:    10270

Sure, but you’ve got to be caught first. You never know when a cop will catch you with your busted windshield, but you do know that the yearly inspection will.
    Right? Fix-it tickets are almost all for tint, exhaust, or maybe bolting on a 2x4 as a bumper if the officer doesn't like your attitude.

The link above gives it conclusion by drawing from sources whose conclusions are, "not enough data to conclude". Poor research from a clearly biased website.
    I'll volunteer my state for amusing anecdotes of vehicles that should have been crushed on the spot. AKA the "this is why we can't have nice things" people.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Sure, but youÂ’ve got to be caught first. You never know when a cop will catch you with your busted windshield, but you do know that the yearly inspection will.
    That is exactly what I mean. I’ve had a crack in my truck windshield for ten years. It goes right down the center just like old cars had a split down the center. Obviously a split windshield would obstruct vision more than a single crack. It causes no safety issues. But an inspection would cause unnecessary expense.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Right? Fix-it tickets are almost all for tint, exhaust, or maybe bolting on a 2x4 as a bumper if the officer doesn't like your attitude.

The link above gives it conclusion by drawing from sources whose conclusions are, "not enough data to conclude". Poor research from a clearly biased website.
    I'll volunteer my state for amusing anecdotes of vehicles that should have been crushed on the spot. AKA the "this is why we can't have nice things" people.
    Several states have gotten rid of inspection based on the data, so whether the website is biased is a mute point. (I didn’t see any clear bias) It says not enough data to conclude it helps safety. Are You suggesting we should keep laws that are unproven theory? Funny to hear a car guy want unnecessary laws. You know there are people that believe cars without airbags, antilock brakes and side impact protection should not be allowed on the road. There are people that feel cars older than ten years should be outlawed. Of course, there are lots of people that believe any modification from stock should be illegal. Sorry about your Delorean.

My VIN:    10270

Funny to hear a car guy want unnecessary laws.
    Before you continue dressing up the straw man, I do think cars with swiss-cheese frames, partial brake rotors, steel cords showing through the tires, and rusted through control arms should be taken off the road & fixed. I think you would agree that these are safety concerns. Not sure why you went out of your way be so disrespectful in your reply.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

That is exactly what I mean. I’ve had a crack in my truck windshield for ten years. It goes right down the center just like old cars had a split down the center. Obviously a split windshield would obstruct vision more than a single crack. It causes no safety issues. But an inspection would cause unnecessary expense.
    Not true. The windshield is part of the vehicle structure and a crack means it is not in proper functioning condition. Don’t be cheap. Buy a windshield.

Before you continue dressing up the straw man, I do think cars with swiss-cheese frames, partial brake rotors, steel cords showing through the tires, and rusted through control arms should be taken off the road & fixed.
    Exactly. These are the cars I’m talking about. The owners of which don’t give a single thought to spending money on it, risking their lives and the lives of those unfortunate enough to be driving near them. Without a yearly inspection these cars will be driven until they cause an accident. I’ve seen catastrophic failures of vital car components during my decades in the auto biz. Some people walked away from them, some didn’t.

Driving is not a right, it’s a privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    🤷🏼
    This thread took a turn, now to get back on topic.....when will the new tail lights be available? Is there a rough estimate what the pair will cost?

Before you continue dressing up the straw man, I do think cars with swiss-cheese frames, partial brake rotors, steel cords showing through the tires, and rusted through control arms should be taken off the road & fixed. I think you would agree that these are safety concerns. Not sure why you went out of your way be so disrespectful in your reply.
    The point is the law is suppose to solve a problem. The statistics prove there is no problem and the law does not have the desired effect, regardless of your personal observations. No disrespect intended. I like your work and I would not like it to be shut down by government regulation under the guise of safety.

I will happily buy DI taillights without a DOT on them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast