FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Facia wrap instead of paint

My VIN:    05141

GRRRRR!!!!!

Got a call from the wrapping company.
    They basically told me and gave up and to come get the car + they will never ever do classic cars ever again.

I prepped the faciaS by removing loose paint and sanding edges.
    They sent me pictures that show the facias have been painted several times before and you can simple pull off a lot of old paint.
    So they had to sand the whole facias bare.

Now the wrap foil does not stick good enough.

It is completely sanded, and they told me it is ready to get it painted and go for this option.
    Last year the whole summer the car was away for repairs, tooks like I face that again. I will try and see if there is a company that can do this short time as I will not drive the car looking like this.

Should I do it myself with a can?

I should not have touched it and leave it alone.

Steering with power

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The quick, short, cheap answer is Yes, get some spray cans and do it yourself. It won't come out great but it would be passable. The other choice is to find a good body shop and have them do it. It should not take very long to do, it is not a big job to a good shop that knows what they are doing. Resist the urge to remove the facias to paint them, it is a LOT more work to remove, fix, paint and reinstall them. The shop can do a very nice job just masking them and painting them in place. Can be done in just a couple of days.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Do yourself and the car a favor and have the fascia painted by a reputable auto body shop. That's what I did with both fascias and I was not disappointed. It sounds like the wrapping business may have done much of the preparation already.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Too bad that didn’t work out. Something seems odd about that. I’ve seen several cars wrapped that were painted multiple times. The facia should be easy.

I have to agree with some others, why do a wrap for this location? The only reason I would do a wrap on a Delorean is for promotional purposes. You could do some wild graphics and then remove them later. The stainless is part of the character of the car.

Having said all that, I have heard that some wraps have “healing” property where you can remove a scratch with a heat gun. Not sure if I believe that.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I have to agree with some others, why do a wrap for this location? The only reason I would do a wrap on a Delorean is for promotional purposes. You could do some wild graphics and then remove them later. The stainless is part of the character of the car.

Having said all that, I have heard that some wraps have “healing” property where you can remove a scratch with a heat gun. Not sure if I believe that.
    My non-DMC vehicles are wrapped with Xpel Ultimate PPF and it does self-heal in the sun/heat provided the impart does not penetrate the first layer. It's incredible and must have for anything driven daily if you care about the paint and lights. Every car I have owned since 2004 has had PPF installed. Here is my latest acquisition as of May of 2021. This car is entirely wrapped with PPF including headlights + GTECHNIQ HALO ceramic coating. Even opted for windshield protection film as well. ~1000 miles and it's already got some divots. Worth the $ of admission and cleaning is a breeze.
    PPF & ceramic.jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    05141

The facias were professionaly painted on the car. It all took a lot more work than I wanted to spend on it.
    Cost me 550€ but the result is very good.
    Attached Images

Steering with power

My VIN:    10722

Sorry to be so late to this thread. I don't check this forum much anymore. I had my entire painted car wrapped in 4.5mm 3M wrap last year about this time. They charged me an extra $400 in labor costs because they had to completely sand the fascias (only 1 paint layer) down to the gray plastic to get the wrap to stick. It sticks very well now, but the car is always garaged. Most think it is painted (well, it is under the wrap). Even wrapped the top of the air cleaner.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5999

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    Sorry to be so late to this thread. I don't check this forum much anymore. I had my entire painted car wrapped in 4.5mm 3M wrap last year about this time. They charged me an extra $400 in labor costs because they had to completely sand the fascias (only 1 paint layer) down to the gray plastic to get the wrap to stick. It sticks very well now, but the car is always garaged. Most think it is painted (well, it is under the wrap). Even wrapped the top of the air cleaner.
    Did they cut around the exterior rubstrips, or remove them for the wrapping process(then reapply them)?

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    So are you saying the whole car is painted under the wrap, or just the facia? Looks well done. If I wanted a different color, I think I would go this route.

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Did they cut around the exterior rubstrips, or remove them for the wrapping process(then reapply them)?
    They cut around the exterior rubstrips. I had just taped them all off and repainted them and I didn't want them messed with.

I only took off the tail lights, license plates, headlights and exterior mirrors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast