FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean Motor Company (DMC) Texas threatening to sue Delorean owners now

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    This!

Anybody can file a lawsuit for fairly cheap also, but getting to court is another thing. You have to bribe a judge pretty good for him not to throw it out.
    Yes anyone can send off a C&D. In many cases is scares off people. In this case it seems like a pretty shitty thing to do. Many of these websites have been in service a long time and are VERY helpful to the Delorean community. He’s meeting with an attorney to see his options and send a reply back. Waste of money on both delorean and him

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

A question to the OP: Can you share the name of the business your friend runs? Not all businesses with "DeLorean" in their name infringe on DMC rights but some might.

DMC has the right and even the duty to police its intellectual property including a trademark or trade name. Without licensing or restricting the use by third parties DMC risks dilution of their mark or name. Eventually the mark or name can become unenforceable because it's essentially been abandoned by its owner.

At the same time folks who want to do business selling DeLorean parts/service or privately renting their D, even with some reference to a DeLorean, can do so freely as long as they follow the rules. Make sure the business name is clear of confusion with DMC's name or ask DMC if they're OK with a current or planned name for a business.

As David T says, Disney and others are very protective. So are the automotive OEMs.

As for our vendor community it is presumably not a problem. DPI, now known as DeLorean Industries, has a nice disclaimer, for example. Other vendors may be using business and product names that don't infringe on DMC.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Ask one of the online stalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Does anyone think DMCH will get anything from Universal for the use of the name?
    That was proven when Sally sued them. They do receive royalties from Universal for the DeLorean name and DMC logo. It's why you'll find most products labeled as "Back to the Future Time Machine" without a single utterance of "DMC" or "DeLorean" on the box or the product itself.
    I love my DMC! I can't speak highly enough of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    A question to the OP: Can you share the name of the business your friend runs? Not all businesses with "DeLorean" in their name infringe on DMC rights but some might.

DMC has the right and even the duty to police its intellectual property including a trademark or trade name. Without licensing or restricting the use by third parties DMC risks dilution of their mark or name. Eventually the mark or name can become unenforceable because it's essentially been abandoned by its owner.

At the same time folks who want to do business selling DeLorean parts/service or privately renting their D, even with some reference to a DeLorean, can do so freely as long as they follow the rules. Make sure the business name is clear of confusion with DMC's name or ask DMC if they're OK with a current or planned name for a business.

As David T says, Disney and others are very protective. So are the automotive OEMs.

As for our vendor community it is presumably not a problem. DPI, now known as DeLorean Industries, has a nice disclaimer, for example. Other vendors may be using business and product names that don't infringe on DMC.
    It’s one of these rental pages, “RentDelorean, DeloreanRental, RentTheDelorean”. I’m told they’re all likely to get the C&D. Regardless, they all have the disclaimers stating they’re not affiliated with DMC, don’t use delorean logos and would never be confused with DMC.
    Last edited by EngineerGuY; 02-07-2022 at 09:41 PM.

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

HA!! I LOVE IT!!! I SOOOO hope I get a C&D for www.DeLoreanDirectory.com and www.DeLoreanTalk.com and www.DeLoreanMarketplace.com - I will post the letter all over the web and talk about it on EVERY episode of DeLorean Talk!

Hey FAKE DMC... where's my letter?!

(Incidentally, if anyone has a C&D from Fake DMC that they want to share, PLEASE email it to [email protected])

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    HA!! I LOVE IT!!! I SOOOO hope I get a C&D for www.DeLoreanDirectory.com and www.DeLoreanTalk.com and www.DeLoreanMarketplace.com - I will post the letter all over the web and talk about it on EVERY episode of DeLorean Talk!

Hey FAKE DMC... where's my letter?!

(Incidentally, if anyone has a C&D from Fake DMC that they want to share, PLEASE email it to [email protected])

Here is the letter with a few things redacted that have the persons name, I was given permission to post. It's legit. They've now given him until 25th to respond to all their demands. Unbelievable. They mentioned to him also about other websites using the name "Delorean" in their domain on a brief phone call that are likely getting one in the coming month as well. I emailed you a better version that is clear to read.

Delorean Letter 1.jpg
    Delorean Letter 2.jpg
    Delorean Letter 3.jpg
    Last edited by EngineerGuY; 02-08-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Virginia has the Delorean's 80 rock band will they get one?

Does anyone have any contacts at DMC Texas such as James Espey that can get this thing squashed?? This is a potential huge black eye for the community should this gain traction.

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerGuY View Post
    Does anyone have any contacts at DMC Texas such as James Espey that can get this thing squashed?? This is a potential huge black eye for the community should this gain traction.
    lol... Fake DMC are the ones who sent this letter! They are doing their best to take ownership of OUR cars.

And the black eye isn't for the community - it's for Fake DMC. Which they richly deserve.

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

It is as if someone warned about this 20 years ago... and they all laughed!

I'd be willing to bet that at this point the company in Texas makes more money from "licensing" than they do from parts and repair... All because they were the first to register intellectual property they never owned.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast