FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LS4 swap

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessBullet View Post
    The build started in the fall of last year and we've been wrenching on it almost every weekend since then. Not sure how many hours have been invested in it. I don't have a build thread but planning on posting some videos in the future on my Youtube channel. Going Broke Garage
    Curious if you have any updates on your build. I'm starting to entertain the notion of doing an engine swap at some point down the road. I currently have a stock engine and automatic transmission. I did a carburetor conversion a few years ago but at the end of the day its still just a PRV. At this point in my ownership (over 10 years now), I'd rather have something fun to drive than a big desire in keeping things stock. I do want to change out the transmission to manual above all else. Would y'all recommend trying to get an OEM setup for that or go the Porsche-96 route?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Curious if you have any updates on your build. I'm starting to entertain the notion of doing an engine swap at some point down the road. I currently have a stock engine and automatic transmission. I did a carburetor conversion a few years ago but at the end of the day its still just a PRV. At this point in my ownership (over 10 years now), I'd rather have something fun to drive than a big desire in keeping things stock. I do want to change out the transmission to manual above all else. Would y'all recommend trying to get an OEM setup for that or go the Porsche-96 route?
    If you're going to swap out the automatic to a manual, and you're doing an LS swap, you may as well go all in and go the Porsche transmission route.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

While I do feel the stock 5 speed transaxle is up to the task of the swap, if starting from an automatic is makes more sense from a budget standpoint just to go for the Porsche trans. Sourcing a 5 speed transaxle with the associated components will run your costs up to a similar number as just going the Porsche route. The only major hurdle converting from the auto is the pedal box (Shifter, cables, and hydraulics all carry over from the Porsche so no DeLorean part sourcing needed here). However, I am working on a solution that retains the stock auto pedal box but adds a clutch pedal. No ETA on a release yet though unfortunately.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I changed mine from automatic to manual before the engine swap and it was more involved than I had anticipated. From a technical standpoint it was no big deal; just a lot of stuff that had to come out and the work was really hard on my back. I had purchased the pedal box sight unseen and it turned out it was missing several springs and washers etc so that took a little bit of research to figure out what was missing etc. Another little wrinkle was the change of the shifter mechanism. Again, not complicated but a little more work to get it right than I had thought.

FWIW, my stock manual transmission (also purchased sight unseen btw) along with the upgraded input coupler has served me very well since the engine swap so if a Porsche tranny is not in your budget there is still a way forward, Jeff!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! An auto to manual swap has always been on my radar regardless of the engine situation. Lately, I've been leaning towards dumping the PRV for something more entertaining from a performance and reliability perspective, which in turn equals more enjoyment. I'm still a ways out on doing anything but I'd like to start working on a plan forward.
    Jeff

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! An auto to manual swap has always been on my radar regardless of the engine situation. Lately, I've been leaning towards dumping the PRV for something more entertaining from a performance and reliability perspective, which in turn equals more enjoyment. I'm still a ways out on doing anything but I'd like to start working on a plan forward.
    Feel free to give me an email/call when you get around to planning out a potential swap. Im here to help.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Waiting to see an auto PRV -> auto LS swap. I don't think there's any reason it can't be done, but I don't know if it has. What I don't know is if the existing
    DeLorean auto transmission would be up to it in the same way the manual is.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Waiting to see an auto PRV -> auto LS swap. I don't think there's any reason it can't be done, but I don't know if it has. What I don't know is if the existing
    DeLorean auto transmission would be up to it in the same way the manual is.
    Stage 2 is about the maximum you want the stock auto transaxle handling.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Feel free to give me an email/call when you get around to planning out a potential swap. Im here to help.
    Will do!
    Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast