FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Looking for Chevy 4.3L Swap Owners

Looking for Chevy 4.3L Swap Owners

Anyone else have a chevy 4.3L swapped Delorean. I am looking for recommendations on how clutch spacing is achieved. My car came to me with the 4.3L and a custom aluminum bell housing that was made years ago. I just pulled it apart and my clutch has worn through the friction material. I believe I am slipping due preload at the throwout bearing and a step detail missing on the flywheel. The set up is all wrong. The use of spacers in between the engine and bell housing makes me wonder if the bell housing was intended to be used with a shorter flywheel. Anyways, hopefully someone reads this and can share their recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    Anyone else have a chevy 4.3L swapped Delorean. I am looking for recommendations on how clutch spacing is achieved. My car came to me with the 4.3L and a custom aluminum bell housing that was made years ago. I just pulled it apart and my clutch has worn through the friction material. I believe I am slipping due preload at the throwout bearing and a step detail missing on the flywheel. The set up is all wrong. The use of spacers in between the engine and bell housing makes me wonder if the bell housing was intended to be used with a shorter flywheel. Anyways, hopefully someone reads this and can share their recipe.
    I’m sorry I can’t help you, but I would love to see lots of pics of your set up. I guess you have it apart now. How was it when you had it running?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That sounds like Darryl Tinnerstadts car. He's owned it twice. His name on this forum is BLWNAWY.

He is only on here once in a while, but you could try to PM him. He's the original builder of the 4.3 conversion.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That sounds like Darryl Tinnerstadts car. He's owned it twice. His name on this forum is BLWNAWY.

He is only on here once in a while, but you could try to PM him. He's the original builder of the 4.3 conversion.
    I don’t think this is Darryl’s car, since Darryl T. was on here recently and said
    his car was motoring around near him locally on a regular basis. In addition,
    Darryl T’s car is a supercharged 4.3L and IIRC, Darryl used an adapter plate
    instead of a custom bell housing. As mentioned, all recently rebuilt and sold.

As to the original post, I currently own an engine swap DeLorean with a 3.8L
    Turbo V6 (from 85 Grand National) and I am told uses the same early custom
    bell housing as the 4.3L V6, so either myself or Dave Swingle may be able to
    help with some issues you may have. Dave helped sort out my 3.8L setup.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    As I previously mentioned, Dave Swingle helped me sort out a project car with a 3.8L setup
    back in 2003 (in his new garage, before we did the Monster Garage - Monster Nation show)
    I have some of the photos on Tamir’s EnterMyWorld website and here on the Forum, in the
    Custom DeLoreans - Rich W. section, under Grand National DeLorean.

As for other 4.3L setups on this Forum, there are a few, but I do not know if they regularly
    visit here (especially in pandemic times). There are about a half dozen, between Carb, TBI
    and EFI versions (pulled from both cars and trucks), some running DeLorean transmissions
    (manual and automatic), some running Porsche 915 transmission (Duke has this setup).

More here are using adapter plates than custom bell housings, some with custom flywheels.
    When I got my project car, the bell housing needed repair and reinforcements to handle the
    torque and then Dave found a place to cut a step in the flat flywheel that had been installed.
    The input shaft also needed a custom cup fabricated to mount the pilot bearing in the crank.

Check out the photos and let me or Dave S. know if you need some other recommendations.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Rich W; 02-14-2022 at 09:42 PM. Reason: type-o fixes

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

The old Buick 3.8 bell housing pattern will be different from a Chevrolet 4.3 pattern. There are commonly available BOP to GM Corporate adapter plates to accommodate this adjustment though. Offhand I'd wonder if OPs bell housing was running against a 3.8 at some point and employed such an adapter but later swapped in the 4.3. I can't think of any legitimate reason to use spacers unless I'm just completely imagining the situation incorrectly. I don't think the DMC transmission has enough room for a 168 tooth flywheel that would typically be found behind a 4.3 so I have to guess it's a 153 tooth which bolts right up but is an oddity. Doesn't explain why someone would put the wrong throw out bearing in there unless they did happen to do the aforementioned engine swap and reused the 3.8 throw out bearing because it seemed adequate and already compatible with the transmission components. I don't have any old 3.8 pressure plates or flywheels laying around to know if the springs would sit shallower than the regular 4.3/350 type setup. Pics of the components and assembly involved here would help a lot.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    I don’t think this is Darryl’s car, since Darryl T. was on here recently and said
    his car was motoring around near him locally on a regular basis. In addition,
    Darryl T’s car is a supercharged 4.3L and IIRC, Darryl used an adapter plate
    instead of a custom bell housing. As mentioned, all recently rebuilt and sold.
    Not quite what I said - the car was sold locally and is seldom seen.

As for your clutch issue, my conversion was quite different. I sent a Chevy flywheel to Centerforce and had them re-drill it to fit one of their DeLorean clutches. I then used measurements from the flywheel face to determine the thickness of an adapter, and had one made from billet aluminum using my pattern. Since it retained the stock DeLorean/Renault bell housing, clutch fork, slave cylinder, and t/o bearing, everything lined up just as it would on a stock vehicle. I did have to slightly clearance the bell housing to fit the 153 tooth flywheel. The car is still on the road with only one known clutch replacement since 1995.

adapter.jpg

I would recommend you replace the clutch and t/o bearing with quality parts, check clearances and t/o action. and try it.
    Last edited by BLWNAWY; 02-15-2022 at 02:53 PM.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Share some photos of how the spacing is achieved and the problems you're seeing. There are a lot of people with engine swap experience now.

I believe the 4.3L uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the LS and SBC engines so there may be opportunity to refine the swap with some more modern parts if necessary.

Shameless plug for Josh's Site: https://www.lsdelorean.com/swapkits
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 02-16-2022 at 10:27 AM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Share some photos of how the spacing is achieved and the problems you're seeing. There are a lot of people with engine swap experience now.

I believe the 4.3L uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the LS and SBC engines so there may be opportunity to refine the swap with some more modern parts if necessary.

Shameless plug for Josh's Site: https://www.lsdelorean.com/swapkits
    Thanks for the plug nick!

Rob and I have been talking and i was actually able to help him a little with his setup.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.