FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Ignition interference in the radio

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Ignition interference in the radio

Hello,

I'm getting some ignition noise through the radio. So, what part(s) are there to suppress this ignition noise / interference on the DeLorean? Is it Coil suppressor, part number 108561? I see in THIS thread it may not be, but if not, what part is it?

Also, I use my cigarette lighter to power an audio device. Is it necessary to add suppression to this power circuit as well, or is the OE radio suppression supposed to cover all power circuits in the car?

I know from working on other old cars there is a capacitor in the ignition system, and these capacitors wear out over time and have to be replaced.

Thanks for your input.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Before you think about suppression, check the ignition system. Maybe it is time for a new set of wires, cap, and rotor. Maybe you have the wrong plugs. The caps are mainly for suppression of snapping noises like when you turn switches on and off and the alternator, not ignition noises. It can also be a bad connection on the antennae, weak radio signals, a problem with the radio, etc.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

A lot or radio noise is corrected by running a new radio ground wire so it does not share the ground with other electronics. Run it from the ground feed through behind the relay compartment.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Before you think about suppression, check the ignition system. Maybe it is time for a new set of wires, cap, and rotor. Maybe you have the wrong plugs. The caps are mainly for suppression of snapping noises like when you turn switches on and off and the alternator, not ignition noises. It can also be a bad connection on the antennae, weak radio signals, a problem with the radio, etc.
    Thanks for your input. BTW, the ignition system is new and OE, and I have the correct Bosch silver spark plugs.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    A lot or radio noise is corrected by running a new radio ground wire so it does not share the ground with other electronics. Run it from the ground feed through behind the relay compartment.
    Thanks Dave. I'll check the ground and I may run a dedicated one as you suggest.
    Dana

My VIN:    05457

Are you getting noise on the radio itself when listening to an FM station or aux input? I had a situation with my aux input on my Craig headunit due to the poor grounding. Running a new ground as Dave suggested is certainly the best option, but I found I was able to get by with a ground loop isolator. No question it is treating the symptom rather than the problem, but it gets the job done well enough for my needs.

I use one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground...dp/B06XQYN77L/
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Are you getting noise on the radio itself when listening to an FM station or aux input? I had a situation with my aux input on my Craig headunit due to the poor grounding. Running a new ground as Dave suggested is certainly the best option, but I found I was able to get by with a ground loop isolator. No question it is treating the symptom rather than the problem, but it gets the job done well enough for my needs.

I use one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground...dp/B06XQYN77L/
    Yes, I mostly use the aux jack, but there is some noise there using the radio. Thanks for the link to the product. I'll definitely try that!
    Dana