FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Long For DMC To Refurbish A Car?

How Long For DMC To Refurbish A Car?

I purchased my DeLorean from DMC back towards the beginning of October. They were to bring the car up to speed and make sure it was as reliable as possible (all updates/replacements were built into the cost, of course).... They're currently still working on it and I have yet to get the car. I'm truly in no rush, but I'm wondering what a realistic time frame would be for them to get it finished? First they told me 2 months, then it was 3, and then they tacked on another month. Any thoughts or input on this? What's "too long"? Hmmmm....

-Johnny C

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

What do they say? So many factors come into play here.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    What do they say? So many factors come into play here.
    Yeah, I know... they haven't been very communicative, but when I call they are great to deal with... they just can't give me a timeline for some reason. Like I said, when I bought the car it was supposed to be like 2 months. Then it turned into 3. Then I called and they told me another month. Apparently I'm "in queue", I guess I don't really know how long this queue is.

-Johnny C

My VIN:    1710

First of all, congrats on your purchase! Most customer cars seem to spend about a year there. Not sure what the standard is when you buy a refurbished car from them, though. From my experience trying to buy a car the past six months, the vendors are all pretty overwhelmed right now. Demand for the cars and everything associated with them is at a level they haven't experienced before. There just isn't enough cars and manpower to keep up. So many parts seem to be unavailable right now because of supply chain issues, too... which only exacerbates the delays. Let us know when you get your car!
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    First of all, congrats on your purchase! Most customer cars seem to spend about a year there. Not sure what the standard is when you buy a refurbished car from them, though. From my experience trying to buy a car the past six months, the vendors are all pretty overwhelmed right now. Demand for the cars and everything associated with them is at a level they haven't experienced before. There just isn't enough cars and manpower to keep up. So many parts seem to be unavailable right now because of supply chain issues, too... which only exacerbates the delays. Let us know when you get your car!
    Thanks so much! I was thinking of delays and such with parts and manpower, so I completely understand that part. The car itself is in really good shape to begin with and was well cared for by the previous owner. That said, it still needs some updating (alternator replaced, fuel pump, etc...) so I suppose I'm just waiting for all that to be squared away. I'm in no rush, but it sure is rough knowing that you own the car but can't take it home, lol. Can't wait! Thanks again for the reply.

-Johnny C

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
    Thanks so much! I was thinking of delays and such with parts and manpower, so I completely understand that part. The car itself is in really good shape to begin with and was well cared for by the previous owner. That said, it still needs some updating (alternator replaced, fuel pump, etc...) so I suppose I'm just waiting for all that to be squared away. I'm in no rush, but it sure is rough knowing that you own the car but can't take it home, lol. Can't wait! Thanks again for the reply.

-Johnny C
    Not sure which "DMC" you brought it to, but I think all of them have literally dozens of cars in the queue. And I'm sure all of them are suffering from lack of manpower, illness, and parts/supply chain crap. Sucks that they didn't give you a realistic time line when you dropped off. If it were me, I would reach out and ask when would be a good time to schedule a call so you can go over the work done so far, the work still to do, and what the remaining time required is. They will definitely agree to that if you give them time to prepare. For such a project, it's probably not fun picking up the phone and being asked to give a comprehensive update without time to gather your notes, etc. But that's just what I would do.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Not sure which "DMC" you brought it to, but I think all of them have literally dozens of cars in the queue. And I'm sure all of them are suffering from lack of manpower, illness, and parts/supply chain crap. Sucks that they didn't give you a realistic time line when you dropped off. If it were me, I would reach out and ask when would be a good time to schedule a call so you can go over the work done so far, the work still to do, and what the remaining time required is. They will definitely agree to that if you give them time to prepare. For such a project, it's probably not fun picking up the phone and being asked to give a comprehensive update without time to gather your notes, etc. But that's just what I would do.
    Just to clarify, I bought the car directly from them and it was their "policy" that they deliver the car in a reliable and updated condition. So I bought it in early October and have never actually taken the car home, lol. And there are, indeed, several cars there waiting to be worked on. I'm going to call at the end of the week for an update and I feel that it's justified at this point to ask for a realistic date for pick up. We'll see what they say. I'm happy with the experience they have provided up until now, but I'd really like to take my expensive purchase home at some point, LOL!

-Johnny C

Just to clarify, I bought the car directly from them and it was their "policy" that they deliver the car in a reliable and updated condition. So I bought it in early October and have never actually taken the car home, lol. And there are, indeed, several cars there waiting to be worked on. I'm going to call at the end of the week for an update and I feel that it's justified at this point to ask for a realistic date for pick up. We'll see what they say. I'm happy with the experience they have provided up until now, but I'd really like to take my expensive purchase home at some point, LOL!

-Johnny C
    If it was their car and they sold it in the basis they knew they had to bring it up to a standard they should not have sold it until the work was done. You sound very patient but I’d be starting to demand some committed timeframes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    If it was their car and they sold it in the basis they knew they had to bring it up to a standard they should not have sold it until the work was done. You sound very patient but I’d be starting to demand some committed timeframes.
    Spoke to them this morning. Looks like mid-March now. We'll see!

-Johnny C

My VIN:    05257

-Johnny C
    Directly from where? DMC Houston, California, Florida...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast