FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door seal break in.

My VIN:    3743

Door seal break in.

Hi, just replaced all my door seals, as I figured the doors are harder to close. What is the best practice for breaking in the new seals. What type of grease can I apply to help if any? Unfortunately it has been rainy and chilly out so no warm sunny day in the forecast to let it sit outside.

Is it absolutely necessary to play with the strikers when the doors closed fine before with the 40 year old seals?

I appreciate the help.

My VIN:    Early

Never mess with strikers on a good closing door.

Coat with some silicone grease, like sil glyde, and close door and leave shut for awhile.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 03-10-2022 at 08:55 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Never mess with strikers on a good closing door.

Buy some silicone grease, like sil glyde, and close door and leave shut for awhile.
    Thank you, I appreciate it

My VIN:    Midproduction

Your door is probably catching along the edges.....find the spot, pull out the weatherstrip and reinstall. When you do, pull the weatherstrip away from the door as you push the seal in along those trouble spots. That should tilt the seal back enough to improve your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Your door is probably catching along the edges.....find the spot, pull out the weatherstrip and reinstall. When you do, pull the weatherstrip away from the door as you push the seal in along those trouble spots. That should tilt the seal back enough to improve your issue.
    Thank you for reply, are you referring to the inner door seal or outer?

My VIN:    Midproduction

Inner

Quote Originally Posted by FLUX @88 View Post
    Thank you for reply, are you referring to the inner door seal or outer?

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Silicone lube on inner door seal. Watch the corners for the seal grabbing. Close the door let it sit so they can seat.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The door seals can come in several sizes (heights) to compensate for differences in the fiberglass tubes, especially among the early cars. It is possible you got a seal that is too tall. If you still have a piece of the old seal compare it to the new one you put in. Make sure you put the seal on with the holes on the correct side and the joint by the jamb switches with a short piece of rubber tubing inside. Slather the door and the inner seal along the top especially by the outside turn with silicone spray.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4328

Don't use silicone spray, won't do much for it. Make sure to use silicone grease, makes a huge difference

My VIN:    05141

I had exactely the same issue. Early wear on the seal too. When visiting DMC Europe, Ed tells me that the seal is installed wrong. You can do this left or right only, so I took it off right there and reinstalled, worked perfect!
    So flip the seal.

John

Steering with power