FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No buzz from Frequency valve

No buzz from Frequency valve

I have no buzz from my FV - I’ve had the car for a few months and don’t think it Has ever worked. I’ve checked that I have 12v to one of the FV wires, that I have continuity from the bulkhead to both, I’ve checked that that the ECU has ground continuity from both the relevant wires and that there is continuity from the ECU to the FV and from the relay to the ECU. The ECU also has 12v to it.

I’ve jumpered the RPM relay between the brown and yellow/red wires which I think should give a noticeable buzz at the FV but have nothing. I’ve also disconnected the O2 sensors for these tests as that should give me 50% at the FV I think.

Anything I’m missing before I start to blame a knackered FV or ECU?

Any help or expertise would be greatly received.

Jon.

I recently had a similar issue. Rob Grady was the one to point me in the right direction. In my case it was the relay. Ordered a new one, FV buzzes away

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

The lambda relay has to be the correct one which is different from the others. But if your getting 12 volts on the FV and at the same time getting 12 volts to the lambda ECU then it would be the correct relay. In that case probably your lambda ECU is bad if you have both grounds. It could also be the FV is frozen but a dwell check would show if the FV is getting dwell but not buzzing.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

I have some spare lambda ECUs if you think that's the problem.

I’m in the UK so not that close to Pittsburg.

Is it possible to open it up and see if anything is awry?

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JKDelorean View Post
    I’m in the UK so not that close to Pittsburg.

Is it possible to open it up and see if anything is awry?
    Well, closer to Pittsburgh (PA) than you are to Pittsburg (CA). DeLorean EU have them for 178 Euro:

https://www.delorean.eu/catalog/prod...ducts_id=51001

I don't think DGo have any. Mine are rather cheaper than that, but whatever works for you.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I got a few going by just plugging and unplugging the plug to the FV a couple of times. A little bit of corrosion is all it takes to keep it from buzzing. If your mixture is too far off it also won't buzz and if the O2 sensor is bad it won't buzz. There is a ground wire just for the FV that attaches to the intake manifold and if that is not attached it won't buzz. A bad Lambda relay (or the wrong one) and it won't buzz. Bottom line a few possible causes.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

With a cold engine the FV should buzz the loudest (duty cycle is 50%). Does not matter if your mixture is off or O2 sensor is working.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4328

Yea like Dave said 02 sensor has no effect on whether it buzzes or not. Leave it disconnected and u shoukd get 50% and buzzing all the time. I had the same problem and it ended up being my lambda ecu. Swapped it out and she started buzzing like crazy. I leave o2 sensor disconnected and run open loop

This is a great help, thanks. I’m going to get a replacement ECU and cross my fingers that that’s the issue.

Am I right in thinking that without the FV I would be running rich? I have a ‘separate’ but likely linked issue that my exhaust headers are getting too hot which I am thinking is unspent fuel igniting in the headers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast