FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Unpainted Fascias - Urethane is natural Black - electric DA polisher recommendation?

My VIN:    11789

Unpainted Fascias - Urethane is natural Black - electric DA polisher recommendation?

Hi
    I'm very happy with my unpainted front and rear fascias, and have got them to a good sheen using wet n dry and rubbing compound n wax.
    I just love them.

However, Id like to take it to the next level and use a power polisher on them.

At this time of life (I'm 67) I'm not looking for a super dooper unit ... just something that will do the job well.

So do you guys have a recommendation for a DA Polisher and liquids that would make these awesome fascias really pop?
    ThankIMG_20200107_214905.jpg
    Attached Images
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post

So do you guys have a recommendation for a DA Polisher and liquids that would make these awesome fascias really pop?
    Maybe. I recently bought this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-...ool-58079.html

And used it to strip much of the paint, but it's really too large to get to many of the corners, but it has still saved me a ton of time.
    It comes with a 240 grit, which is good to smooth things out (I had many layers of registration stickers), but to make things pop
    I think I'll be using by hand some 1000/2000 grit sandpaper. I suspect in the end I'll be using SEM trim black though - the front
    at least had some holes drilled in it for a former license plate.

Hi
    I'm very happy with my unpainted front and rear fascias, and have got them to a good sheen using wet n dry and rubbing compound n wax.
    I just love them.

However, Id like to take it to the next level and use a power polisher on them.

At this time of life (I'm 67) I'm not looking for a super dooper unit ... just something that will do the job well.

I also have gone with the natural black fascias, to me they look better. Did not use this tool but hand rubbed with wet n dry.
    What wax did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I also have gone with the natural black fascias, to me they look better. Did not use this tool but hand rubbed with wet n dry.
    What wax did you use?
    I handrubbed using very fine wet n dry. I used all kinds of wax..some with a blackpigment. Ive seen some nice small detailing polishers with small heads so was looking for advice from anybody who has successfully used these on their fascias. Im not going back to painting them, thats for sure
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

I handrubbed using very fine wet n dry. I used all kinds of wax..some with a blackpigment. Ive seen some nice small detailing polishers with small heads so was looking for advice from anybody who has successfully used these on their fascias. Im not going back to painting them, thats for sure
    I hear you. But I'm not sure how to cover up the holes otherwise. In time, I'll be doing a non-paint treatment on my other case, it's become quite dull.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I hear you. But I'm not sure how to cover up the holes otherwise. In time, I'll be doing a non-paint treatment on my other case, it's become quite dull.
    The holes? ... I performed an "honest repair" using epoxy glue with some black pigment powder given to me by my guitar building friend. He said that
    It was black spirit stain pigment----- the proper solvent for it is meths but he noticed in the past that he could use it to colour epoxy filler / glue.

it looks like I'll be getting one of these - I'm in contact with the company here in the UK obtaining more info.

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/produ...chine-polisher

The holes? ... I performed an "honest repair" using epoxy glue with some black pigment powder given to me by my guitar building friend. He said that
    It was black spirit stain pigment----- the proper solvent for it is meths but he noticed in the past that he could use it to colour epoxy filler / glue.

it looks like I'll be getting one of these - I'm in contact with the company here in the UK obtaining more info.

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/produ...chine-polisher
    Ah, interesting. I have been watching "Making Fun" on Netflix, and it's interesting to see the effects they achieve
    with epoxy, especially dying it. The problem with the black JB Weld epoxy I used is that it's very "gritty" if you try
    and sand it; not really the finish I'm after. Perhaps the clear epoxy (perhaps mixed with a bit of paint) will give a better
    finish, being more viscous.

I think I will still paint it in the end (I'm actually OK that my two cars will be slightly different), but SEM trim has a habit of showing up imperfections,
    so I'm really hoping for a smooth finish.

My VIN:    03572

Ah, interesting. I have been watching "Making Fun" on Netflix, and it's interesting to see the effects they achieve
    with epoxy, especially dying it. The problem with the black JB Weld epoxy I used is that it's very "gritty" if you try
    and sand it; not really the finish I'm after. Perhaps the clear epoxy (perhaps mixed with a bit of paint) will give a better

I think I will still paint it in the end (I'm actually OK that my two cars will be slightly different), but SEM trim has a habit of showing up imperfections,
    The Alumilite clear epoxy works very well with any of their dyes to get any color you want. The epoxy is very thin compared to other epoxy and very clear. I used this to cast the shift decal into my shift ball with white dye but you can get any color you want and even mix colors to get exactly any shade. It only takes a few drops of dye to a few ounces of epoxy.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

JB Weld is not a smooth glue ... yup, it seems to have "stuff" in it.

I used glue like this ... with the black pigment in it.

You have to look hard to see it ... I'm happy because I am never going to get mine to a concours finish, and retain some of the "warts" it has developed going into old age lol

This glue is thin so you won't fill a large hole straight away, treat it like you were doing a "drop fill" paint repair, and build it up slowly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epoxy-Resin...83919194&psc=1