FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: timing chain tool/bracket

timing chain tool/bracket

Hi, its been awhile since I have been on and or posted, which is a good thing on one hand. But unfortunately, the head gasket leak has gotten worse and now have a trace of anti freeze in the oil. So I have the gaskets and am getting my mind in the right place to tackle this project, in doing some research it looks like I will need the "tool" I call bracket to support the timing chain and sprocket. Is there information to make this bracket or place to purchase it. I haven't done an extensive search but I haven't found anything regarding this tool I believe the manual refers to tool 5104, thanks for any help.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Hi, its been awhile since I have been on and or posted, which is a good thing on one hand. But unfortunately, the head gasket leak has gotten worse and now have a trace of anti freeze in the oil. So I have the gaskets and am getting my mind in the right place to tackle this project, in doing some research it looks like I will need the "tool" I call bracket to support the timing chain and sprocket. Is there information to make this bracket or place to purchase it. I haven't done an extensive search but I haven't found anything regarding this tool I believe the manual refers to tool 5104, thanks for any help.
    That tool is only necessary if you want to do the heads and not have to take the water pump and timing chain cover off to hold the chains in position. You can see if any of the vendors will lend or rent that tool out. There are also liner clamps if you rotate the crank with the heads off.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That tool is only necessary if you want to do the heads and not have to take the water pump and timing chain cover off to hold the chains in position. You can see if any of the vendors will lend or rent that tool out. There are also liner clamps if you rotate the crank with the heads off.
    Ok thanks.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

I have the tool set. Frankly I don't think that it is worthwhile to use, given the amount of :
    -set up for the tool
    -other things that you'll want to service while the head is off (removing the timing chain tensioner screens, replacing chain ramps, timing cover gasket)

You should still be able to remove the heads with the engine remaining in the car, although removing the exhaust may be difficult. I pull the engine to do this kind of thing, myself.

The timing chain setup procedure is a little opaque in the DMC workshop manual. See if you can find Volvo's instructions...way easier to understand and verify you did it right.

My VIN:    11596

I think I read, not long ago, that DMCMW will loan out the timing chain bracket. Give them a call.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City