FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Strange dial/part (which I suspect may not have originally come from my car)

My VIN:    7120

Question Strange dial/part (which I suspect may not have originally come from my car)

I've taken the binnacle, seats, center console, and seat carpets out, then was taking the radio out to see if I can do anything about the failed display, when this little guy fell out, I think from somewhere around the radio.
    20220501_145905.jpg

It's about an inch in diameter, and seems to be a selector of some sort - keyed, with various traces of probably different resistances or w/e - seems like something that would be found in a DeLorean, and appears to be of appropriate age, but I couldn't figure out where it came from - I can't see any spindles in there that it would fit on... or any mention I can find in any of the parts/shop manuals...

For what it's worth, this car has a few 'custom' modifications from a previous owner, some of which I'm just finding now. For instance, there are two extra orange lights on the lower front, and I think I've found (under the center console) the leads for those, which go through a toggle-switch taped to the underside of the steering column and dead-end near the battery - disconnected for as long as I know... so it could be 'leftover' from some project, accidentally dropped in and forgotten or something. But before I seal stuff up, wanted to make sure I'm not missing something critical.

My VIN:    03572

I agree it looks like some sort of selector switch part with changing resistance. I would guess very low resistance so my guess would be, tried to replace blower speed switch.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    15275

hi

its the inner workings of the dash rehostat....for dimming the dash lights...

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    Ah, thanks! Looking at 3-6-2 parts page, it looks like that could be it - I didn't take the rheostat off the console when I removed the latter - just unplugged it and left it in place, so I didn't even think to look at the rheostat. I'm at work right now, but will check when I get home later.

Unhappy Doesn't appear to be the rheostat

Doesn't look like that's it - spindle on the dash rheostat is way too big, and the enclosure is still all intact. And from what I can tell of the rheostat, it looks like a simple potentiometer. Attached new photos for comparison:

20220502_172042.jpg 20220502_172014.jpg

My VIN:    15275

trust me

thats what it is.. i have taken a few apart over the years.. the thing that breaks is the plastic nut thats on it... it sits inside the housing.. it might be an older one.. some of the newer style ones are a little different...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

thats what it is.. i have taken a few apart over the years.. the thing that breaks is the plastic nut thats on it... it sits inside the housing.. it might be an older one.. some of the newer style ones are a little different...
    Yes. Someone probably bought a new one and took the old one apart just to see the insides.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Fair enough; that makes sense that it just sorta 'fell out', then, and why I didn't see anything specifically broken/missing. Thanks!