FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Door Locks Cycling Without End

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If there are any remote wires feeding the ECU, try disconnecting those.
    Genius! That did it! I disconnected the remote box from the DLM, and then it worked properly! I then reconnected the remote and now it works with the remote as well!

Thanks so much Dave!
    David Proehl

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If there are any remote wires feeding the ECU, try disconnecting those.
    +1

A side thought-
    I'm thinking, in the last vid, if the jumper wires were removed, it would act the same -- Disconnecting the switches ("sensors") and grounding their harness connectors does nothing but remove the ground source used as input to the module.

Glad it's working in any case!

Jumping back on this thread as the locks started cycling again. If I disconnect the wireless receiver from the lock ECU, then power locks function normally (like stock) on both sides but without remote functionality obviously.

Does this sound like the receiver plugged into the ECU might be defective? I'm wondering if is starting to fail entirely which explains why it worked after resetting previously, but now it won't. I wouldn't expect them to wear out over time, but I imagine it could happen.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Jumping back on this thread as the locks started cycling again. If I disconnect the wireless receiver from the lock ECU, then power locks function normally (like stock) on both sides but without remote functionality obviously.

Does this sound like the receiver plugged into the ECU might be defective? I'm wondering if is starting to fail entirely which explains why it worked after resetting previously, but now it won't. I wouldn't expect them to wear out over time, but I imagine it could happen.
    The ECUs can fail over time - old electronics, etc. I do have some NOS units, but there's also some modern versions kicking around. But it's always worth cleaning connectors.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    The ECUs can fail over time - old electronics, etc. I do have some NOS units, but there's also some modern versions kicking around. But it's always worth cleaning connectors.
    It's worth checking the battery voltage, electronics can act weird of they do not get what they want. Low voltage an cause weird things to happen. After a long period of inactivity (which many Deloreans get) the battery can get low.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    The ECU/DLM seems to be functional without the receiver attached. I have a DMCH Door Lock Module I bought and installed in 2012 that it is connected to. I suppose that the issue could be in either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It's worth checking the battery voltage, electronics can act weird of they do not get what they want. Low voltage an cause weird things to happen. After a long period of inactivity (which many Deloreans get) the battery can get low.
    Good call out. The voltage seems fine, I keep it on a battery tender, but I can certainly verify the voltage is a strong 12v.
    David Proehl

Hopefully my final follow up on this. Last night I found the remote receiver was attached to a bad ground. Couldn't find it with the multimeter but bought a 12v single wire light for $8 that found it right away.

Painful lesson about the proper way to verify ground connections. I've heard "check your grounds" a lot on this forum, should have known better.

The bad ground was caused by a tap connector I received with my door popper kit. After all this trouble I can assure you I won't be using tap connectors any longer! I knew better when I installed it, but did it anyway.
    David Proehl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2