FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door Locks Cycling Without End

My VIN:    05457

Door Locks Cycling Without End

I've been having issues with my power door locks. They lock and unlock on a constant loop. I have the DMCH lock module with remote. I've included a couple videos below on what is happening.

What I've tried so far to diagnose:
    1. I've cleaned wiper switches and contacts on both doors to remove any corrosion.
    2. I've applied pressure with my fingers to the wipers, one door at a time, to test a solid connection is being made.
    3. I've run a diagnostic on the lock module by pressing the button on the module, which displays a lower red and upper green concurrently flashing light. I believe this means it thinks the passenger unlock failed.

I'm wondering if there is an issue with the lock module itself. I'm surprised that the default behavior would be to lock and unlock without ceasing, ultimately this would drain the battery. I've only let it go about a dozen cycles before disconnecting the power, so perhaps it would stop eventually, but I'm skeptical.

The lock module will stop misbehaving if both doors are open with the wiper switches not making contact with either lock or unlock. If either one of the doors is in the lock or unlock position, it goes into the cycle. I'm starting to think maybe there is an issue with the lock module itself?

Any thoughts on next steps to try? I'm wondering maybe I need to test continuity with a multimeter between the wipers and the connector that mates with the lock module. Not sure what else to look at.

I appreciate the help on this!

David Proehl

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure both doors (and both latches on each door) are in 2nd locking position. If one is not then it would cause the module to unlock the doors. Disconnect the DLM and check each door and each latch. Slowly close each door and listen for 2 clicks from each latch. When properly adjusted you should not be able to lock the door manually if both latches are not in 2nd locking position.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

The wiring in the stock harness puts the door switches in parallel so if one switch fails to follow the other then the electronics will see both unlocked and locked and has to decide what to do with that. So my guess is the software did not consider that possibility.

You may have a broken or shorted wire in the harness or the adjustment of the switches is causing that problem. What you could do is pull the connector from one door switch (inside the door) and using an ohm meter at the door lock ECU connector verify the lock and unlock signals follow when you manually lock and unlock the other door. If that door works then do the same to the other door.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I’ve never been a fan of the central door lock system. In stock form it’s probably one of the worst offenders as fas as battery drain is concerned, and even if it’s functioning correctly (which it probably won’t do for very long) it’s gimmicky at best. Central door locking for a tiny, two door car? Really?

I’d unplug it and call it a day. The hassles it creates aren’t worth the service it’s supposed to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure both doors (and both latches on each door) are in 2nd locking position.
    The doors seem to latch properly after re-checking. Without the DLM connected locks and doors work as expected as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You may have a broken or shorted wire in the harness or the adjustment of the switches is causing that problem. What you could do is pull the connector from one door switch (inside the door) and using an ohm meter at the door lock ECU connector verify the lock and unlock signals follow when you manually lock and unlock the other door. If that door works then do the same to the other door.
    Apart from a faulty DLM a short is probably the only other situation that makes sense. So essentially you are saying I should confirm the lock/unlock signal makes it to the DLM? I'll give this a try tonight. If there is a short, then it is possible both doors could work with the other disconnected but not together right? I'll test the signals first and theorize more later.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of the central door lock system. In stock form it’s probably one of the worst offenders as fas as battery drain is concerned, and even if it’s functioning correctly (which it probably won’t do for very long) it’s gimmicky at best. Central door locking for a tiny, two door car? Really?

I’d unplug it and call it a day. The hassles it creates aren’t worth the service it’s supposed to provide.
    I can't disagree with you on the trouble this system causes. It's never been 100% for me. Even so, I still really like my remote locks despite the headaches.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The electronics won't correct a mechanical problem, if the doors are not set up and adjusted perfectly the DLM won't work. Make sure all the latches get to 2nd locking position.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post

I tell people to update and use it.

Verified latches, they are good.

I've now also disconnected the wipers and set both to unlock and both to lock using alligator clips on the connectors. No dice. I've also tried:

• With only 1 door connected, both still cycle.
    • With only 1 door connected, I can short the other lock or unlock with alligator clips and they both cycle.
    • I tested continuity between the door unlock and lock wires and the harness in the relay/fuse compartment and it is good for all wires.
    • I tested if I could get continuity between lock wires in one door and unlock on the other door, I could not (no short between them)
    • I replaced my DMCH DLM with the factory DLM...AND IT WORKS!

So I imagine it is now conclusive that my DMCH DLM has a fault in it correct? I wonder what the warranty period is on these. Crazy that my 41 year old DLM works fine and my new fangled one won't.

OEM Door Lock module with everything working as it should, although without any remote functionality:
    David Proehl

More fun video of my issue in action with my jumper wires in place:
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

If there are any remote wires feeding the ECU, try disconnecting those.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast