FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hazard Switch Light comes on only with Headlight Switch Light

My VIN:    7120

Question Hazard Switch Light comes on only with Headlight Switch Light

I put new LED bulbs in the headlight and hazard switches, and tested from the terminals that both are in the correct orientation, and the headlight switch bulb works correctly.

The hazards switch light, however, comes on if, and only if, the headlight switch is 'on'. Turning the hazards on or off has no effect on the switch light (but the indicators do flash), nor does turning the key to run positions - it still lights up with the headlight bulb only.

To be honest, I'm not sure when the hazard switch light worked last. The incandescent bulb I took out was good (I tested it), but I don't ever recall seeing it on (but it's been a few years since it's been driven).

I had a relay replacement kit I hadn't installed yet either, so I finally installed that in case there was something there, but it made no difference.

I replaced Fuse 8 with the kit, but checked it still anyway. Curiously, with it removed, all the panel lights still work. Does that indicate a potential ground issue? Gonna check a few other fuses.

OK, I strongly suspect the switch itself is bad. I've had some issues with the rear lights, which I always chocked up to it being old, and plan to eventually replace the rear boards & lights with LED.

But now I notice the RL indicator doesn't flash with the hazards, including the dash indicator, unless I push the switch all the way in - then the rear indicators both flash together. And the left indicator works when I turn on the left turn signal (flashes appropriately).

However, I also noticed that the number of poles on the switch matches the number of wires, but two of the wires are stuck into the same slot on the connector, so one of the poles on the switch isn't connected - is this normal?

20220521_142737.jpg 20220521_142711.jpg

Red face

Well, gee, now I feel dumb . Seems the switch light behavior is how it's supposed to work. (this post #8 indicated the same "problem", and Dave's response #10 indicates that's how it works)

The rear indicator hazard is still disconcerting, though. Bad switch?

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by JCochrane View Post
    OK, I strongly suspect the switch itself is bad. I've had some issues with the rear lights, which I always chocked up to it being old, and plan to eventually replace the rear boards & lights with LED.

But now I notice the RL indicator doesn't flash with the hazards, including the dash indicator, unless I push the switch all the way in - then the rear indicators both flash together. And the left indicator works when I turn on the left turn signal (flashes appropriately).

However, I also noticed that the number of poles on the switch matches the number of wires, but two of the wires are stuck into the same slot on the connector, so one of the poles on the switch isn't connected - is this normal?

20220521_142737.jpg 20220521_142711.jpg
    My hazard switch light only comes on with headlight switch on.
    So I think that's how it works.
    I had no bench mark since mine were burned out when I bought my car.

Dave B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The black and purple wires being in the same slot is normal.

The left dash indicator, front indicator and rear indicator bulbs are tied together, directly - If one burns, they all should.

If you meant you have to "hold" the switch in, then it is probably bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If you meant you have to "hold" the switch in, then it is probably bad.
    Yeah, if I hold the switch in, the both sides flash, but otherwise only the right side flashes when the hazard switch is engaged normally. Both sides also briefly light when the switch is first depressed, then only the right continues to flash. I guess I'll be replacing the switch sometime, then. But for now, I can turn the left signal on at the same time, and it sorta functions the same (at least in run)

I put everything back together yesterday (had the console off, seats out, binnacle off, storage back board off...), and now the flashers work ok. For now. I suspect one or more of the flex-circuit connector terminals at the instrument panel was misaligned. They don't stick down anymore, and I probably wasn't super careful when trying to put it on for the test vs putting it back together. So I guess for now, I'll keep an eye on it.