FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saving 1169: Live The Nightmare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Saving 1169: Live The Nightmare

It's time I begin detailing my journey, now being about a month into ownership.
    My personal story is not unlike most here...childhood dream, ect...I'm a 40-something male who's reached financial solvency to make this type of purchase a reality and to "Live the Dream". I had no idea such a vast community existed with the wealth of knowledge and parts available. My naivety is one fault of mine that has brought me to this critical point: had I known what I know now, my purchase would of been drastically different and although we own a car commonly associated with being a time machine, I cannot go back and change things and I have reached a personal and financial "point of no return" in which I am thankfully not alone yet woefully overwhelmed and find myself oscillating between feelings of buyer's remorse and an energized resolve to restore this Vin one bolt at a time.
    I'd like to make very clear that at no point will my intention be to badmouth or in any way misrepresent or dramatize any person or company that has been involved with my acquisition. I will lay out the details as accurately as I can and document my journey as I forge ahead.
    This will not be easy...I am therefore fortunate to be a part of a tremendous community of dedicated and knowledgeable fellow owners.
    This will not be a short journey...I am therefore grateful for my patience and resolve.
    This will not be cheap...I am therefore fortunate to have the means and resources to make it happen, even if the time frame is fluid and contingent on my financial management.
    My name is Jimmy and I am (what I believe to understand) the third owner of Vin 1169, 1981 Automatic black interior.
    Please be cordial and patient as I struggle with understanding and learning but with those faults I am gifted in many creative arenas. I will do my best to articulate myself and to understand more technical feedback and I value and appreciate any and all advice and suggestions...
    I will be organizing my photo archive and updating this thread with total documentation on the entire timeline of ownership.
    Thank you for reading!

My VIN:    10644

You could also sell the car immediately and use the help of this community to help you find the right one. I wish I’d done that with my first DeLorean instead of keeping it for 5 years and trying to make it reliable.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    You could also sell the car immediately and use the help of this community to help you find the right one. I wish I’d done that with my first DeLorean instead of keeping it for 5 years and trying to make it reliable.
    This is not feasible at this point. I have surpassed a personal point of no return in regards to upgrades invested and I sacrificed quite a bit to get the loan to purchase.
    I know it would be easier for others to sell as quickly as purchased but I think I can make something out of her

My VIN:    5312

Make a list of issues and where you are located. People would come help. A list of issues will help people, help YOU!
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

I await the pics. Are you saying you want to do a complete frame off restoration? Or the comment “one bolt at a time” is just fix things as needed? This may only be my opinion, but I think these cars are valuable drivers, not concours show cars. So if you fix things as needed and do it right, you probably won’t lose money. If you make everything perfect, you probably lose.

Anyways good luck

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

This is a document I made recently and might be a good starting point:

https://peternaulls.medium.com/delor...n-1270b4c3d041

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Don’t take it back to where you bought it. It is part of the business plan to have you bring it back, year after year, for $10K annual visits to address existing issues and the new ones that come along too. Don’t fall further into the retail trap. Make a good effort to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the different parts that are available. Just like the quality of each car available, there are differing levels of parts support and quality as well. There is a lot to learn and digest after such a rocky start for you. Sorry you had to endure that. Good luck and can’t wait to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Don’t take it back to where you bought it. It is part of the business plan to have you bring it back, year after year, for $10K annual visits to address existing issues and the new ones that come along too. Don’t fall further into the retail trap. Make a good effort to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the different parts that are available. Just like the quality of each car available, there are differing levels of parts support and quality as well. There is a lot to learn and digest after such a rocky start for you. Sorry you had to endure that. Good luck and can’t wait to hear more.
    I appreciate this reply. Makes sense. Often times the ones selling the cure are the ones who sold the virus. That's not a dig at anyone but a valid take on life and business in general.

Much to my surprise, my vehicle has become quite the topic of discussion and argument. Simply by bringing the vehicle to my first owners event has, by no will or action of my own, spawned a barrage of commentary throughout the community and not all of it good.
    I'm going to lay down some very clear boundaries and intentions here so that MY point of view cannot be open to interpretation. I fully accept the fact that mob mentality and the court of public opinion exists in every group paradigm. I'm a member of other hobby related forums and it exists everywhere. That being said, I personally have a zero tolerance policy for comments that are aimed to shame, discourage or otherwise perpetuate drama.
    If you're following this thread hungry for drama, please kindly help me and look elsewhere.
    If you're following this thread because you want to share in my journey and offer real help and suggestions, I cordially invite you to follow along and have fun!
    Before I begin, I would like to establish some baselines for how this'll go down:

1) I am a logical thinker first and an emotional thinker second. My thoughts and reactions to things are typically based on a logical approach rather that responding emotionally, however I embrace the fact that a person's feelings and emotions are an automatic reflex that must be addressed. You'll find that I'll be sure to acknowledge how something has made me feel and that those feelings are NOT an absolute or a judgment on a person, place or thing but an honest reveal of what's happening in my mind.

2) I will present photos and a timeline of events to the best of my recollection. If any information posted is legitimately erroneous or incorrectly recalled, I'll be the first to admit it and remove the information.

3) None of what I write will be intended to slander or libel any individual or business. If you choose to make judgment on people or businesses based on my experience, please keep my name out of it as I expressly do NOT authorize anyone to speak for me. I take no responsibility for words spoken or written about me by someone else.

4) I have absolute intention to restore and update critical areas on the car to get her to a reliable and safe driver that also looks great too. Further suggestions to sell the car will be summarily ignored. If anyone feels compelled to dramatize the condition or these updates on Facebook groups, please know that THIS thread contains my thoughts and feelings and anything else is interpretation I cannot control.

Guys, things are not as bad as it's been painted to be and I'll do my best to stay positive and vigilant as I move forward saving 1169!
    Let the shit show begin...

CHAPTER ONE: THE CALL

I was weeks away from putting my reservation deposit down on a brand new Tesla Model 3. It was going to be a gorgeous, modern every day driver that made sense for me to buy...yet the closer date of deposit loomed, the more uneasy I began to feel.
    Prices on the Model 3 had risen to luxury car levels that forced me to reconsider the purchase...not because of affordability, but because if I were going to spend that kind of money on a car...why not spend it on THE car....the ONLY car that's ever mattered and ever will matter. I've put it off far too long. If I bought the Tesla, I'd be damning myself to denying the dream for yet another unknown number of years and at the rate my dark, lush Italian hair is turning silver, my time to make the dream acquisition while I still retained my youth and health was quickly diminishing.
    I called the one person who's always given me good advice - my mother.
    I told her how uneasy I felt moving forward with the Tesla and that I felt I was giving up on the dream. She replied (in "That's God telling you not to get the Tesla!". That's all I needed to hear.
    I sent a message to a friend who's owned two DeLoreans to ask for advice on what to do. He replied with a laundry list of discouraging reasons why NOT to buy one...but finished it off by saying I'll never be more in love.
    His description of the DeLorean being "the neediest girlfriend I'll ever have" is both accurate and hilarious.
    He informed me, much to my surprise, that DeLorean dealerships exist and that he would put me in contact with one he's dealt with.
    Let me be clear that at this point I had zero idea that a vast DeLorean community existed, had no idea that parts, services and dealerships were a thing. In less than ten minutes I was on the phone with Mike from DMC Midwest.
    I was careful to temper my enthusiasm as I conveyed my naivety and desire for the vehicle. My price range was conveyed by my friend prior to my phone call with Mike and I was told a vehicle had just recently arrived that was in my budget.
    Mike was happy to help and gave me a good vibe over the phone, putting me at an ease regarding this dream I've never felt before. I felt safe discussing the possibility of purchasing from an official dealership.
    The car was described as a "runner" with a good frame and "some rust" on the roof box. I didn't know what the hell a roof box even was, but was assured it wasn't an issue requiring immediate attention.
    All in all, the conversation with Mike was pleasant and left me feeling confident and excited, though I wasn't completely sold until after the phone call when Mike sent photos of the car. What wasn't discussed on the phone was that a previous owner had updated the center console with a modernized custom look...it turned out to be THE selling point for me because it's kind of like a Tesla...but it's a DeLorean! I was sold...but tremendously overwhelmed with feelings of "do it now" for fear of someone nabbing the car before me.
    I worked quickly to secure the loan needed through a classic car lender and thankfully my credit score and income were up to snuff. I was approved quickly and I expressed my intention to purchase to Mike expediently for fear of missing the opportunity. I had no idea how often purchase opportunities arose, so I felt compelled to jump on it.
    Below are the pictures Mike sent me after our phone call. I knew she was mine when I saw that sexy center console with the iPad radio. It's exactly what I was looking for in ways I never dreamed of.
    Like a horny schmuck judging a Tinder girl based on a few photos, I was ready to give the D to the DeLorean and things happened so fast and I was so woefully inexperienced, I had zero thoughts of slowing down and taking even a minute to consider.
    For better or worse I made what many, if not most would describe as a massive mistake but I felt safe buying from a legitimate source and not any old Joe's used car lot.
    She was gonna be mine and nothing was stopping that, not even logical intervention.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast