FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Water Pump Replacement

Water Pump Replacement

Hi Guys, hope everyone is doing well. It's been awhile since any activity on here and wanted to ask if anyone might recommend a good, reasonable mechanic, preferably in the Cobb County area or near by area, to replace my water pump (24k miles). I have researched and just not sure if my basic mechanic skills could get it done. It was leaking a small amount, then a little more and now it is pouring out with engine running. Could be one of the hoses but still have to take intake manifold and the rest to check it out. Thanks, Mark

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm over in Richmond County.
    It's certainly a job you can do yourself.
    Done it twice on my car. Actually the second time was a few weeks ago. If you want I could help you out. I think there's some owners around Atlanta that are closer. Maybe we could do a mini tech session? Unless you really want to pay a mechanic?

Do you have the bolt on pulley or pressed on one?
    I recommend upgrading to the bolt on, if you don't already have it.

Jack, thank you for your offer. Might have a lead somewhat more locally but I do appreciate your offer to help.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2241 View Post
    Jack, thank you for your offer. Might have a lead somewhat more locally but I do appreciate your offer to help.
    Keep in mind that it’s the same engine used on a lot of old Volvos. Your local Volvo shop might still employ someone who is knowledgeable with that engine.

Update and resolution

Just thought I would update my experience with my coolant leak. I was able to find a local mechanic willing to take on the task. After teardown it was clear I had a bad water pump. And during this process the dreaded bolts (two!) broke despite being patient and careful. For parts, I dealt with Josh at DeLorean Industries. I found him helpful and overall a positive experience. Placed an order Saturday morning, package was shipped same day and received Wednesday morning. Also replaced hoses, clamps, spark plugs, thermostat and coolant reservoir cap and once back together a new fuel line. Everything else seemed to be good. All in all not too bad and I am back on the road.

Just thought I would update my experience with my coolant leak. I was able to find a local mechanic willing to take on the task. After teardown it was clear I had a bad water pump. And during this process the dreaded bolts (two!) broke despite being patient and careful. For parts, I dealt with Josh at DeLorean Industries. I found him helpful and overall a positive experience. Placed an order Saturday morning, package was shipped same day and received Wednesday morning. Also replaced hoses, clamps, spark plugs, thermostat and coolant reservoir cap and once back together a new fuel line. Everything else seemed to be good. All in all not too bad and I am back on the road.
    Nice! The DeLorean Industries water pump is the best around.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I was able to find a local mechanic willing to take on the task. After teardown it was clear I had a bad water pump. And during this process the dreaded bolts (two!) broke despite being patient and careful..... Also replaced hoses, clamps, spark plugs, thermostat and coolant reservoir cap and once back together a new fuel line. Everything else seemed to be good. All in all not too bad and I am back on the road.
    Glad to know you're reliably back on the road again.

Nice job finding a willing and competent mechanic, broken bolts and all, to sort all this out for you. Extra credit for scoring a new resource there.

Of course, now you can lean on that shop for your next classic car repair job. And the shop can brag about servicing DeLoreans.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior