FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: High idle cold start --sorry

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    ok.. so the valve isnt closing after 30 seconds or so. the motor hums and it closes about a 1/4 of the way. i put a screwdriver in there to see if i could move it and can feel it vibrating. Ive left it for a few minutes and it has yet to close. Im just going to order a new one unless someone has another idea.
    Im guessing the motor is gradually burning out.
    I really appreciate all everyones help.

Thanks again.
    dave
    Try shorting the thermistor wires and see if it closes. Thermistor has to be plugged into the ECU.

Don't use a screwdriver to turn the idle motor valve. It's a soft metal and you could damage it. I'm guessing someone already did damage it which would be why it's not closing more. Use something soft like wood.

Also note the idle motor will not close fully with a stock ECU. It will still be about .1" open.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 06-12-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    nov 81

the motor is reading around 10 ohms on the pins next to each other and around 20 on the outer pins.
    ?

Thanks
    Dave

My VIN:    03572

the motor is reading around 10 ohms on the pins next to each other and around 20 on the outer pins.
    ?

Thanks
    Dave
    That is typical of the OEM idle motor.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That is typical of the OEM idle motor.

found the wide open switch is not connected to anything(i think thats what it is) the other 2 open plugs on the left side are for something to do with an automatic right?
    the deeper i go the more i find.
    cold start this morning and idle jumps to 2100. same as before. I disconnected the idle motor and it drops. I know you said it should spike. Do you think someone somewhere messed up wiring on this car? Should i just order another idle motor and give it a try?

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images

My VIN:    11596

found the wide open switch is not connected to anything(i think thats what it is) the other 2 open plugs on the left side are for something to do with an automatic right?
    cold start this morning and idle jumps to 2100. same as before. I disconnected the idle motor and it drops. I know you said it should spike. Do you think someone somewhere messed up wiring on this car? Should i just order another idle motor and give it a try?

Thanks for your help
    The white plug for the full throttle switch should connect with the white plug you see in the second photo, however that cannot cause your high idle.

If the idle goes to 2100 RPM, that sounds like what happens when you disconnect the inner plug on the Idle ECU (the one that has 4 wires going into it). Check that plug and make sure none of the wires have backed out of the white plug so they aren't making connection.

If my car is idling normally, and I pull that plug off, the idle jumps up to around 2100.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The Wide Open Switch wires are: Black and Light Green.
    The Idle Speed Switch wires are: Black and Black with Light Green tracer.
    The Kick Down Switch wires are: Black and Light Green with Green tracer.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    The white plug for the full throttle switch should connect with the white plug you see in the second photo, however that cannot cause your high idle.

If the idle goes to 2100 RPM, that sounds like what happens when you disconnect the inner plug on the Idle ECU (the one that has 4 wires going into it). Check that plug and make sure none of the wires have backed out of the white plug so they aren't making connection.

If my car is idling normally, and I pull that plug off, the idle jumps up to around 2100.
    i did that when mine was warmed up and idling normal and it jumped up like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The Wide Open Switch wires are: Black and Light Green.
    The Idle Speed Switch wires are: Black and Black with Light Green tracer.
    The Kick Down Switch wires are: Black and Light Green with Green tracer.

thats all for automatics right? mine is a 5 speed.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That is for both. The plug with Black and Light Green with Green tracer is not used on manuals, if present.

update

So after cleaning and testing everything and all the research i came across a picture of throttle spool spring and realized mine was either an old style or something rigged up from previous owner. I changed out the spool spring and cold started it today and it jumped up for a second but then dropped down as soon as i threw a rev. then it hunted for about 30 seconds but stayed under 1k rpm. Huge improvement from before! Maybe something to do with what Parzival mentioned earlier in thread? tensions on the springs? Its only been one cold start try but i am hopeful its fixed.
    Last question for the week hopefully, I ordered the other return spring(pic) seems as though I have to tear a lot apart to get to that bolt. Any suggestions on easy way to replace it?

Thanks

Dave T.
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast