FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Turbo conversion but need to know the turbo used or equivalents

Turbo conversion but need to know the turbo used or equivalents

Sent the turbo off for a rebuild. They can't get the compressor wheel.
    It is a RotoMaster Ray Jay SN 600586-06
    I saw a BAE Systems kit and mine looks the same. Is there a compressor wheel I could fit from another turbo or swap the turbo completely?
    RotoMaster do rebuilds/kits but they have no records of this, due age.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Does not work that way. You will need a matched chra with compressor and turbine housings. Wheels are highly specific to makes and manufacture preference for use. Best option would be to adapt the unit to a modern T3 common configuration. We have a seen a few BAE systems updated like this.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Since you are talking about one turbo the assumption is you have the BAE single turbo kit. It is getting harder and harder to have the old turbos rebuilt, parts are getting scarce. It may be easier to find another old turbo or maybe find a more modern replacement. Is there any possibility of repairing the compressor wheel? Maybe another shop can find one or repair your old one. A really good shop should be able to do something to rebuild your turbo.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Since you are talking about one turbo the assumption is you have the BAE single turbo kit. It is getting harder and harder to have the old turbos rebuilt, parts are getting scarce. It may be easier to find another old turbo or maybe find a more modern replacement. Is there any possibility of repairing the compressor wheel? Maybe another shop can find one or repair your old one. A really good shop should be able to do something to rebuild your turbo.
    This is my problem, the turbo rebuild company have no info on the turbo and so cannot get a compressor wheel. The wheel is pitted and holed.
    The question is, does anyone know if there's a similar wheel that could be substituted?
    Or, is there a direct replacement turbo I could get?

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by mickdavies View Post
    This is my problem, the turbo rebuild company have no info on the turbo and so cannot get a compressor wheel. The wheel is pitted and holed.
    With the original measurements you may be able to have one made. Search for companies that offer custom CNC compressor wheels.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    With the original measurements you may be able to have one made. Search for companies that offer custom CNC compressor wheels.
    Sadly 2 companies were approached by the turbo overhauler and both wanted a minimum of 100 units!

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mickdavies View Post
    Sadly 2 companies were approached by the turbo overhauler and both wanted a minimum of 100 units!
    Shoot, probably isn’t even 100 running BAE kits out there period!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A crackerjack welder should be able to repair pits and holes. Once welded up it gets balanced anyway. Good turbo rebuilders repair parts all the time. I am surprised that the shop you went to can't repair the wheel. Keep looking for a shop that can.
    David Teitelbaum